This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 56.3931 / 56°23'35"N
Longitude: -3.4339 / 3°26'1"W
OS Eastings: 311581
OS Northings: 723239
OS Grid: NO115232
Mapcode National: GBR 1Z.12J9
Mapcode Global: WH6QC.7K2T
Entry Name: Perth 41 King Street
Listing Date: 26 August 1977
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 385193
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB39511
Building Class: Cultural
County: Perth and Kinross
Local Authority Ward: Perth City Centre
Traditional County: Perthshire
Circa 1835. Pair of symmetrical semi-detached houses forming 2-storey, 4-bay block. Painted squared and coursed rubble with smooth margins, rubble to rear. Base course, cill course, eaves cornice. Pair of small rooflights.
FURTHER DESCRIPTION: steps with decorative iron railings lead to pair of central 4-panel timber entrance doors with concave reveals and 9-pane fanlights above..
Predominantly plate glass timber sash and case windows; some 12-pane timber sash and case windows to rear. Grey slates, raised skews. Brick gablehead stacks.
INTERIOR: (No 41 seen, 2009). Original room-plan largely extant. Curved stair with decorative cast-iron balusters and timber handrail. Some decorative fire surrounds and decorative plaster cornicing.
BOUNDARY WALLS: to W, N and S. Low, coped rubble wall to W surmounted by iron railings and with pedestrian openings with pair of iron entrance gates. Taller, coped rubble walls to N and S.
This pair of symmetrical, little externally altered, semi-detached houses are a significant addition to the streetscape of this residential area of Perth. The height and proportions of the building are particularly distinctive and their symmetry, including the entrance doors, fanlights and entrance gates, adds to their interest and character.
The Southern sections of King Street and James Street were laid out in a grid pattern in 1803, to accommodate expansion of the city. The land had previously been a garden for the King James Hospital, which is situated to the North (see separate listing). Individual plots were then sectioned in 1830 by the City architect, W D Mackenzie and feued for housing. Conditions of the feu meant that most of the houses had to be set back at a certain distance from the street, with their gardens to the front. Many of the houses, including this one, are apparent on the 1837 Map. The plot of ground for these houses was bought initially by a Mr William Dow, cabinetmaker, probably in 1830 and the houses built soon after this.
Category changed from B to C(S) and list description updated at resurvey (2009).
Other nearby listed buildings