This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.9649 / 56°57'53"N
Longitude: -2.2091 / 2°12'32"W
OS Eastings: 387381
OS Northings: 785987
OS Grid: NO873859
Mapcode National: GBR XK.2QYR
Mapcode Global: WH9RN.169F
Plus Code: 9C8VXQ7R+X8
Entry Name: 43 Barclay Street, Stonehaven
Listing Name: 43 and 45 Barclay Street with 8a, 8b and 10 Mary Street
Listing Date: 25 November 1980
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 387858
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB41561
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Stonehaven and Lower Deeside
Traditional County: Kincardineshire
Late 18th to early 19th century, altered to rear. 2-storey and attic, 6-bay terraced pair of dwellings with No 45 converted to shop at ground, closing irregular terrace to E. Large blocks of squared and coursed sandstone rubble, with droved ashlar base course and stone cills to No 43.
W (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: 3 symmetrical bays to right with timber door and letterbox fanlight to centre, windows in flanking bays and regular fenestration close to eaves at 1st floor; bays to left with centre door shop at ground and 2 windows close to eaves at 1st floor; attic floor with polygonal-roofed canted dormer window to centre flanked by later small piended dormers and further canted dormers, all linked by slate-hung mansard.
N (MARY STREET) ELEVATION: gabled elevation with window to left at each floor and broad gablehead stack; door in later bay at outer left.
Plate glass glazing in heavy non-traditionally detailed replacement timber sash and case windows. Grey slates. Coped ashlar stacks, that to S truncated; ashlar-coped skews.
Continuing to make an historic contribution and leave a traditional reference to the town's prosperity. In 1759 Robert Barclay of Ury purchased the estate of Arduthie for £1500 with the intention of developing a 'planned town' separated geographically from the Old Town and harbour by the Carron Water, and bordered to the north by the Water of Cowie. Building of the New Town, designed on an irregular grid-iron plan by his son Robert, commenced in 1797 with streets named after family members. The Market House (later Buildings) is sited in Barclay Square (later Market Square) with the principal streets, Allardice, Barclay and Ann running N-S and Cameron, Evan and Mary Streets running E-W; further minor links extend to both N and W. Feu purchasers were awarded privileges which included 'the right to quarry stones from the Brachans, the ridge of rocks projecting into the bay, peat from the moss and clay from the Milldens of Cowie' (Christie, p15). The first house, built on the north bank to the Carron and now demolished, was soon followed by those facing the Square and main streets.
Other nearby listed buildings