This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.9653 / 56°57'55"N
Longitude: -2.2096 / 2°12'34"W
OS Eastings: 387351
OS Northings: 786026
OS Grid: NO873860
Mapcode National: GBR XK.2QVB
Mapcode Global: WH9RN.1625
Plus Code: 9C8VXQ8R+44
Entry Name: 60 And 62 Barclay Street
Listing Name: 60 and 62 Barclay Street
Listing Date: 23 March 2006
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 398257
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB50272
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Stonehaven and Lower Deeside
Traditional County: Kincardineshire
1890s. Tall 2-storey and attic, 2-bay former shoe shop with flatted dwellings above, in irregular terrace to S. Stugged red sandstone ashlar with droved margins and snecked rubble incorporating some Aberdeen bond. 1st floor cill and eaves courses. Stone mullion and stop-chamfered arrises.
E (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: ground floor with original shop comprising 2-part fixed display window and 2-leaf panelled timber door below deep plate glass fanlight all surmounted by fascia and bracketed cornice, and further panelled timber door with plate glass fanlight to outer left; 1st floor with bipartite window in bay to right and single window to left; attic floor with polygonal-roofed canted dormer window to right and small gabled dormer window to left with decorative timber bracing and delicate cast-iron finial, both dormers slate-hung.
N ELEVATION: broad blank gabled elevation with dominant gablehead stack.
4-pane and plate glass glazing patterns to original timber sash and case windows. Grey slates. Broad coped ashlar gablehead stacks with full-complement of polygonal cans. Ashlar-coped skews with block skewputts.
INTERIOR: entrance with encaustic-tiled floor and part-glazed panelled timber door with deep plate glass fanlight leading to unaltered shop with boarded timber walls, timber shelving, cupboards (see Notes), counter and fire surround with overmantel; panelled display window, decoratively-capitalled column and compartmented ceiling with moulded cornices. Former workshop to rear.
A rare intact survival of a well-fitted early shop with good details including a cupboard within the shop which is lined with a paper advertisement for the original owner George Alexander 'Boot and Shoe Maker'. The shop was sold in 1928 to Mr Anderson, a chiropodist, who adapted such items as a metal shoe stretcher known as the 'EUDORA II' and a bunion stretcher for use in the shop. The Anderson family ran the shoe shop until 2005.
Other nearby listed buildings