This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.9627 / 56°57'45"N
Longitude: -2.2131 / 2°12'46"W
OS Eastings: 387142
OS Northings: 785743
OS Grid: NO871857
Mapcode National: GBR XK.2Q35
Mapcode Global: WH9RM.Z8B4
Plus Code: 9C8VXQ7P+3Q
Entry Name: South Church, Cameron Street, Stonehaven
Listing Name: Cameron Street, South Church, Church of Scotland Parish Church, Including Church Hall
Listing Date: 25 November 1980
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 387901
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB41592
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Stonehaven and Lower Deeside
Traditional County: Kincardineshire
James Souttar, 1868-9; alterations, including addition of new gallery and seating, 1896; church hall added 1897. Tall single stage, single bay, Greek cross-plan, Gothic church with 2-stage, pyramidal-roofed stair tower in re-entrant angle, curvilinear-traceried window and fine interior. Small blocks of roughly squared and snecked coursed rubble with ashlar margins, some stugged; tower of larger blocks of snecked squared rubble with ashlar dressings. Base and band courses. Single stage, broad, clasping buttresses of shallow projection. Voussoirs, stop-chamfered reveals, raked cills. Vertically-boarded 2-leaf timber doors.
N (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: cross-finialled gable to street with large 4-light traceried window, flanked by blocked tiny rectangular openings at springing point of arch; steps up to deep-set door in small gabled porch projecting at left, and tower to right with door, flanking buttresses and 2-light traceried window at 1st stage giving way to modillioned cornice and pyramid roof.
W ELEVATION: advanced gable with 2-light traceried window behind external secondary glazing, and tower in re-entrant angle to left comprising small window at 1st stage and 2-light traceried window above. Door in low link section projecting at outer right.
Diamond-pattern leaded glazing with painted margins; stained glass memorial window to S. Grey slates. Stepped ashlar skews with mitre skewputts. Diminutive triangular louvered roof ventilators and base of polygonal spire? at crossing.
INTERIOR: good decorative scheme in place incorporating fixed timber pews, vertically-boarded timber dadoes, N gallery on 4 iron columns with arcaded front, centre clock and raked seats. Compartmented and stencilled boarded timber ceiling. Narthex screen of panelled timber and multi-pane leaded top lights, and winding stair with barley-twist balusters, square-section finialled newel posts and small blocked pointed-arch opening. Chancel arch to S with pipe organ housing and 1896 stained glass window gifted by William Mowat. Circular, arcaded timber pulpit from 1843 church. Mural monuments include 1914-19 granite war memorial to 'Those of the North U F Church who fell in the Great War', 1914-19 timber war memorial 'In Loving Memory of those connected with this Congregation who gave their lives in the Great War', and timber memorial to 'Those connected with this congregation who gave their lives in the Second World War 1939-1945'. Vestry with boarded dado and ceiling, and gas lamp.
CHURCH HALL: single storey, 3-bay, rectangular-plan, linked church hall to SW, with traceried circular window to W and modern windows elsewhere.
Ecclesiastical building in use as such. The South Church was built as Stonehaven Free Church. The original, 1843, Free Church in Mary Street is now a Masonic Hall. The foundation stone of the Cameron Street building was laid by Lord Kintore on July 7th, 1868, and the new church was opened in 1869. After joining with the United Presbyterian Church, during the tenure of Rev Michie (1895-1920) the South Church became the United Free Church. The North and South Churches in Stonehaven united in 1927, and in 1929 the United Free Churches joined with the Church of Scotland and the South Church became the South Church as it is known today. The church hall was presented by Mr William Mowat of Viewmount, and opened on 21st July, 1897.
Other nearby listed buildings