This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.9625 / 56°57'44"N
Longitude: -2.213 / 2°12'46"W
OS Eastings: 387148
OS Northings: 785711
OS Grid: NO871857
Mapcode National: GBR XK.2Q4C
Mapcode Global: WH9RM.Z8CB
Plus Code: 9C8VXQ6P+XR
Entry Name: 8 Carron Terrace, Stonehaven
Listing Name: 7 and 8 (Burnside) Carron Terrace Including Boundary Walls and Gatepiers
Listing Date: 25 November 1980
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 387921
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB41607
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Stonehaven and Lower Deeside
Traditional County: Kincardineshire
Circa 1850/60. Single storey and attic, 5-bay terraced pair of boldly detailed, late classical houses; No 8 with late 19th to early 20th century single storey, single bay wing. Ashlar. Base and eaves courses. Consoled cornices to doors and to 3 advanced tripartite windows, latter with coupled outer consoles and block pediments rising above eaves.
SE (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: 5 symmetrical bays, those to right with broad panelled timber door and 2-pane etched glass fanlight flanked by tripartite windows in flanking bays (No 7), further door with 2-pane fanlight in bay to left with tripartite beyond at outer left (No 8). 3 pedimented tripartite dormers above, those to No 7 flanking small rooflight. Further later flat-roofed bay projecting at outer left, incorporating panelled timber door to left, window to right and further window on return to right.
4-pane glazing pattern in timber sash and case windows. Grey slates. Coped ashlar stacks with polygonal cans; ashlar-coped skews with block skewputts.
BOUNDARY WALLS AND GATEPIERS: low coped ashlar boundary walls with corniced, square-section gatepiers and terminal piers to SE. High rubble boundary walls elsewhere.
A well-detailed pair of cottages overlooking The Carron Water which separates the grid iron plan New Town area, designed by Robert Barclay of Ury in 1797 and built on Arduthie Estate lands which had been purchased by his father in 1759, from the earlier harbour area. Deeds show that the land was feued in 1803 with a stipulation that any property should be built to a value of £50. In accordance with this, it may be that a wing to the rear of the current building is, in fact, the original 'but and ben' erected on the site.
Other nearby listed buildings