This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 55.985 / 55°59'6"N
Longitude: -4.5748 / 4°34'29"W
OS Eastings: 239465
OS Northings: 679887
OS Grid: NS394798
Mapcode National: GBR 0L.VXY9
Mapcode Global: WH3NB.PTQP
Entry Name: Alexandria, Bank Street, Vale of Leven Bingo Club with Boundary Wall, Railings and Portals
Listing Date: 29 March 1996
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 389601
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB43193
Building Class: Cultural
County: West Dunbartonshire
Electoral Ward: Leven
Traditional County: Dunbartonshire
1862 with circa 1930 additions to sides. 2-storey, 5-bay classical temple fronted public building with addition of 1930s Modern Movement outer bays. Red sandstone ashlar; painted for 1930s additions. Base course, entablature, corncie, pediment; parapet. Bipartite round-headed windows, aprons.
E (MAIN) ELEVATION: symmetrical temple front, bounded by railings and gates (described below). Giant order Doric quatrostyle portico supporting balustraded parapet, triangular pediment rising behind at centre, datestone 1862 at centre. 5-bay building, 3 doors at centre ground, letterbox fanlight; flanking broad architraved blind windows. 5 bipartites now blocked; plain ashlar parapet rising behind balustraded parapet. 1930s curved flanking bays to outer left and right, flat-roofed with ashlar coping, strip windows symmetrically disposed at ground, 1st floor.
S ELEVATION (BRIDGE ST) : squared and snecked rubble 5-bay hall with 1930s block clasping at corner. Hall with blank bays divided by pilaster strips; single storey wing advanced at centre ground, 2-bay piend-roofed block to right, bipartite; recessed entrance to outer left, narrow round-headed door, keystone, steps.
N ELEVATION (BANK ST) : 4 broad bays, 1930s block clasping left corner. 2 bays to left, bipartite at ground, 1st floor; bays to right slightly recessed, 2 bipartites at upper stage; round-headed door, biaprtite immediately to right, door to outer right.
Windows on main elevation blocked; fixed 4-pane, top-hopper windows. Grey slate piend roof.
INTERIOR : not seen 1995.
BOUNDARY WALL AND PORTALS: low pink granite reataining wall with grey granite coping to front of builidng, decorative wrought-iron railings; Flanking Egypto-classical battered portals,keystone, cornice.
This is a striking Classical temple-fronted building which is one of the few remaining historic public buildings in Alexandria. The building was built as a public hall and was used as a cinema from the 1930s until circa 1973. The side additions date from this change of use to a cinema.
Notes and references updated as part of Cinemas Thematic Study 2007-08.
Other nearby listed buildings