This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.9059 / 55°54'21"N
Longitude: -3.1341 / 3°8'2"W
OS Eastings: 329192
OS Northings: 668674
OS Grid: NT291686
Mapcode National: GBR 60K4.8Q
Mapcode Global: WH6ST.TTR9
Entry Name: Gilmerton, 4b Drum Street, Community Centre, with Boundary Walls and Railings
Listing Date: 15 April 1996
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 389667
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB43255
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Liberton/Gilmerton
Traditional County: Midlothian
J Inch Morrison, 1912. Former Gilmerton Board School, 2-storey Free Renaisance, symmetrical; central piended 2-storey block, low 3-storey wings. Polished ashlar to facade with broad coursed bull-faced ashlar high base course rising to cills of windows at ground floor, moulded ashlar band at 1st floor. Base course continued round wings at ground floor, harl above with polished ashlar dressings and quoins. Cornice continued round sides.
E ELEVATION: to Gilmerton Road. Central 8-bay piend-roof block, outer bays advanced in square bay rising through 2 floors with cornice and blocking course, providing entrances for boys and girls, each originally with steps (disabled ramp now to left) to segmentally arched doorway at ground floor with moulded surround and keystone, panelled double doors, bipartite above to 1st floor in moulded panel. 6 bays between each with tall window, 2nd and 5th bays broader with bipartites to each floor, breaking eaves at 1st floor in round-headed pediments with ventilator slits. Timber sash and case windows with 8, 12 and 18-pane glazing.
Recessed T-plan wings to each side, 3-bay elevations to front with windows to ground, 1st and 2nd floors, 4-pane glazing pattern.
N and S ELEVATIONS: wings have 2-storey, advanced, 4-bay blocks toward rear with bipartites at centre to each floor breaking eaves in gabled dormerhead with ventilator slit. Recessed wing projecting towards front has irregular openings; 5 windows at ground floor, tripartite and single window at 1st and 2nd floor.
REAR: windows grouped to centre at ground and 1st floor, 2 tall bipartites breaking eaves at 1st floor in piend-roofed dormerheads. Piended blank outer wings.
Red rooftiles to piended roofs, 2 harled stacks with ashlar quoins and ashlar freize and cornice, tall cans. Large central belfry, octagonal with lead flashings, Doric columns, frieze, cornice, leaded dome and pinnacle.
INTERIOR: not seen (1995).
Low coursed rubble, coped BOUNDARY WALLS to Gilmerton Road and Newtoft Street with RAILINGS to Gilmerton Road.
Built as The Gilmerton Board School.
Other nearby listed buildings