This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.942 / 55°56'31"N
Longitude: -2.7583 / 2°45'29"W
OS Eastings: 352734
OS Northings: 672363
OS Grid: NT527723
Mapcode National: GBR 2S.YQ82
Mapcode Global: WH7TY.LXR5
Entry Name: Monkrigg
Listing Date: 12 August 1996
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 390090
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB43552
Building Class: Cultural
County: East Lothian
Electoral Ward: Haddington and Lammermuir
Traditional County: East Lothian
William Burn, 1834, major additions in eccentric Baronial style circa 1878, notably towers. Basically 2-storey, 7-bay, irregular. Snecked or coursed squared sandstone rubble, margins smooth or droved ashlar.
S ELEVATION: 7-bay. Westmost 3 bays advanced in double gable flanking central bay; gabled bays with canted, tripartite, flat-roofed bay window to ground floor, bipartite window to 1st, slit opening in gableheads; central bay with single window to ground, gableheaded window to 1st breaking eaves. Eastmost bay also advanced and gabled, but with bipartite window to ground also and lacking gablehead slit opening. Intervening 3 bays recessed, incorporating door with latticework porch and 2 windows to ground, 3 gableheaded windows to 1st breaking eaves.
W ELEVATION: essentially 5-bay. Southmost 3 bays continue similar treatment as S elevation; canted, tripartite, flat-roofed bay window to S with 2 gableheaded windows above breaking eaves; flanked to N by advanced bow with quadripartite windows with smooth ashlar dressings to both ground and 1st, capped by cornice and conical roof. Northmost
2 bays form part of vestibule (see N elevation) with tall single and bipartite windows on single level.
N ELEVATION: complicated. Westmost bay forms vestibule with ornately moulded doorway in neo-Romanesque style, the arch supported on slender columns with ornately carved capitals; door 2-leafed, each leaf 4-panelled, with plain semi circular fanlight over; vestibule flat-roofed with balustraded parapet. Next bay forms imposing tower of square plan on 3 tall levels; ground floor with tall tripartite window to N, bipartite to E, all with stone transom; 1st floor with narrow tripartite oriel window to N, narrow windows with stone transom to W and E; enriched and stepped string course above defines heraldic crest to N and slit windows to sides; upper level incorporates tall tripartite windows with stone transom on each face, corners defined by slender columns with ornately carved capitals; capped by ornate cornice and parapet in the style of early 16th century Winton House (Pencaitland). 2 bays further E recessed, again of 1834 style with
2 windows to ground and 2 gableheaded to 1st breaking eaves. Eastmost bays recess further, distinguished by 2 gableheads; windows irregular, 3 single windows to ground, 1 single and 1 bipartite to 1st.
E ELEVATION: distinguished by round water tower, probably original but recapped in 1878 work with machicolated cornice, blocking course and conical roof with fishcale slates. Otherwise plain with single 4-panelled door (upper panels glazed), single window in both tower and small lean-to, evidence of infilled openings.
Fenestration mostly timber sash and case, some fixed pane, generally 12-pane to original openings, 2-pane or single pane plate glass to later work. Roofs in graded grey slates, ridged in stone, mostly gabled with moulded skews and skewputts and carved finials. Several stacks mostly in squared and snecked rubble with cavetto cope and octagonal cans, but later work includes 2 corbelled stacks with ornately moulded copes. Decorative rainwater hoppers throughout.
Stables and courtyard adjacent to E. Apparently a 2-storey E wing was added in the later building period, but subsequently demolished. Heraldic panel on larger tower incorporates the motto "Virtus Semper Virtus". The work of 1878 may be by R Thornton Shiells (see his carved work at the Baronial Limplum, Garvald).
Other nearby listed buildings