This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.8453 / 55°50'42"N
Longitude: -3.2033 / 3°12'12"W
OS Eastings: 324748
OS Northings: 661993
OS Grid: NT247619
Mapcode National: GBR 602V.8G
Mapcode Global: WH6T5.RBSS
Plus Code: 9C7RRQWW+4M
Entry Name: Clock Tower, Glencorse Barracks, Penicuik
Listing Name: Glencorse Barracks, Clock Tower
Listing Date: 22 January 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 391225
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB44614
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Midlothian West
Traditional County: Midlothian
Circa 1810. 4-stage octagonal clock tower containing prison cells/ guard rooms. Squared and coursed, stugged sandstone, base course, raised cills, cill band to 4th stage.
Originally with 4 doors on alternate faces, 1 now blocked as window, 2 others brick-blocked internally. Rectangular, tablet-like windows now blocked with stone or brick, with small ventilation louvres, to each stage of alternate flanks and above each stage where doors at ground, those to 4th stage under the eaves with remnants of former bars. Clock (now modern) fill oculi on 4 of the faces where door/ former door at ground.
Polygonal roof (almost conical), flattened at apex with flagpole, overhanging eaves with exposed rafters.
INTERIOR: stone spiral staircase to centre with cells radiating off. Timber floors. Boarded doors. Water tank now suitably housed.
The clock tower likely dates from soon after 1803-1804, when Greenlaw House was given over for conversion to a prison for French prisoners of war. Alternatively, it may date from the wider development of the site as a military prison after 1813. The tower was previously encircled by a ground level timber lean-to, possibly containing stores. An equivalent, but taller, octagonal structure exists at HMP Perth, designed by Robert Reid and similarly used for prisoners of war.
Glencorse prison was complete by 1813 and cost £100,000 (Groome.) It could accommodate 6000 prisoners and a plan shows observation walkways and prison blocks radiating from a principal terrace. This form may have survived the conversion to the general military prison for Scotland in 1845, but it was demolished either by or during the conversion to the central brigade depot for southeast Scotland in 1875-1877. Greenlaw House was also demolished, though the cellars may survive in the Officers' Mess block to the southeast. Glencorse Barracks remains in use by the military.
Formerly listed as part of a group including the Keep (LB7458), the barrack block (LB44615), the chapel, terrace and stores (LB44616) and the memorial lodges, gates, gatepiers and boundary walls (LB44617).
Other nearby listed buildings