History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Memorial Lodges, Glencorse Barracks, Penicuik

A Category B Listed Building in Glencorse, Midlothian

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.8455 / 55°50'43"N

Longitude: -3.2042 / 3°12'15"W

OS Eastings: 324694

OS Northings: 662025

OS Grid: NT246620

Mapcode National: GBR 602V.3C

Mapcode Global: WH6T5.RBCL

Plus Code: 9C7RRQWW+68

Entry Name: Memorial Lodges, Glencorse Barracks, Penicuik

Listing Name: Glencorse Barracks, Memorial Lodges, Gates, Gatepiers and Boundary Walls

Listing Date: 22 August 1997

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 391229

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB44617

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Glencorse

County: Midlothian

Electoral Ward: Midlothian West

Parish: Glencorse

Traditional County: Midlothian

Find accommodation in
Penicuik

Description

John A. McWilliam, 1927. Pair of single storey pavilion lodges/ sentry boxes flanking pedestrian and vehicular gates, quadrant walls and gatepiers, forming principal entrance to Glencorse Barracks on A701.

Rake-jointed sandstone with roll-moulded arrises and eaves cornices.

LODGES: single storey, square plan with gentle ogee stone slate roofs.

NE LODGE: sentry box, with tall round-arched openings towards drive and barracks, small window to outer side, Royal/ Regimental panel to roadside with moulded surround and ogee-head, carved with 'GvR' set in thistle wreath with crown above and medal below.

Statement of Interest

Glencorse prison was complete by 1813 and cost £100,000 (Groome.) It could accommodate 6000 prisoners and a plan shows observation walkways and prison blocks radiating from a principal terrace. This form may have survived the conversion to the general military prison for Scotland in 1845, but it was demolished either by or during the conversion to the central brigade depot for southeast Scotland in 1875-1877. Greenlaw House was also demolished, though the cellars may survive in the Officers' Mess block to the southeast. Glencorse Barracks remains in use by the military.

Formerly listed as part of a group including the keep (LB7458), the clock tower (LB44614), the barrack block (LB44615) and the chapel, terrace and stores (LB44616).

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.