This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.845 / 55°50'42"N
Longitude: -3.203 / 3°12'10"W
OS Eastings: 324771
OS Northings: 661968
OS Grid: NT247619
Mapcode National: GBR 602V.CK
Mapcode Global: WH6T5.RBZZ
Plus Code: 9C7RRQWW+2R
Entry Name: Store, Sw Block, Terrace, Glencorse Barracks, Penicuik
Listing Name: Glencorse Barracks, Chapel, Terrace and Stores
Listing Date: 22 August 1997
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 391228
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB44616
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Midlothian West
Traditional County: Midlothian
Circa 1810. Raised terrace closed originally by pair of 2-storey, piend-roofed blocks, with central archway (upper stage of SW block demolished), from which radiated originally raised walkways or blocks of prison complex. Large, stugged, coursed sandstone masonry, timber sides and rear to NE block above ground.
TERRACE: running SW-NE with embanked ground behind at centre, raised panel with castellated gateway, segmental-arch, impost course and crenellated parapet.
NE (CHAPEL) BLOCK: 2-storey, 5-bay. SE elevation with 2-leaf doors to stores at ground to left, window and 2 further doors to centre and V- canted projection to outer right bearing door and window; window to each bay of upper storey. NW elevation with clapboarded chapel extended to N by single bay with bipartite window, regular fenestration to remaining bays save bay to left of centre with lean-to porch, door on return.
Timber, 12-pane sash and case windows. Grey slate roof.
INTERIOR: Not seen 2000.
SW BLOCK: single-storey, upper storey levelled as platform on upper ground. SE elevation with V-cant to outer left (mirror of that to Chapel block), pair of 2-leaf doors to centre and door to outer right. Grille to window of V-cant and grey slates to roof above.
These buildings likely date to the development of the site as a military prison, after Greenlaw House was given over for conversion to hold French prisoners of war.
Glencorse prison was complete by 1813 and cost £100,000 (Groome.) It could accommodate 6000 prisoners and a plan shows observation walkways and prison blocks radiating from a principal terrace. This form may have survived the conversion to the general military prison for Scotland in 1845, but it was demolished either by or during the conversion to the central brigade depot for southeast Scotland in 1875-1877. Greenlaw House was also demolished, though the cellars may survive in the Officers' Mess block to the southeast. Glencorse Barracks remains in use by the military.
Formerly listed as part of a group including the Keep (LB7458), the clock tower (LB44614), the barrack block (LB44615) and the memorial lodges, gates, gatepiers and boundary walls (LB44617).
Other nearby listed buildings