This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.8032 / 55°48'11"N
Longitude: -4.0687 / 4°4'7"W
OS Eastings: 270429
OS Northings: 658599
OS Grid: NS704585
Mapcode National: GBR 010B.YJ
Mapcode Global: WH4QP.GDRH
Entry Name: Bothwell, 46 Main Street, St Bride's Church Lodge
Listing Date: 30 March 1998
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 391883
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB45081
Building Class: Cultural
County: South Lanarkshire
Electoral Ward: Bothwell and Uddingston
Traditional County: Lanarkshire
Circa 1899 with later alterations and additions. 2-storey single, 2-bay rectangular-plan asymmetrical, gabled gothic church lodge sited to S of St Brides with oriel window to S and canted window to E. Single storey block abutting adjacent property to left (W). Bull-faced red sandstone ashlar with polished dressings. Base course; cill course to 1st floor; crenellated blocking course to oriel and canted windows. Polished long and short surrounds to openings; chamfered reveals to windows; angle buttress to SW; long and short quoins.
S (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: single gabled bay with narrow bowed bay set back to left and lower bridging bay to outer left. Shallow Tudor arched door surround within square frame, set to left of main gabled bay at ground; replacement timber door; foliate carved spandrels; window at ground to centre; pointed-arched 4-light mullioned oriel window above. Narrow window at 1st floor in narrow bay to left. 3-light window at ground in bridging bay to outer left.
E ELEVATION: 3-light canted window at ground in bay to left. Window at ground in bay to right; bipartite, trefoil-headed gabletted window above.
N (REAR) ELEVATION: single gabled bay. window, set to left, with flanking vent, at ground. Low wall with painted masonry to upper section and boarded door enclosing small yard to right.
Mullioned and transommed windows with some casement openings; others fixed. Green slate roof with red clay ridge; red clay finial terminating ridge to W; ridged ashlar coped skews with blocked skewputts; tall ashlar quadruple cluster stack to ridge centre; cast iron rainwater goods with squared hoppers.
INTERIOR: not seen, 1997.
In 1898 James Donald decided to demolish some rather unsightly buildings around the entrance area to St Brides with a view to the upgrading the appearance of the village centre. He built this lodge as accommodation for the church officer, erected the monument to Joanna Bailie (see separate list description) and planted trees and shrubs nearby. Use of the same strong red sandstone for the lodge ties it to the church and to the monument which stand behind. Ecclesiastical references are made by the use of pointed-arched and trefoil-headed windows, although its domestic purpose is re-affirmed by the existence of the tall central stacks.
Other nearby listed buildings