History in Structure

Balwearie Flint Mill

A Category B Listed Building in Burntisland, Kinghorn and Western Kirkcaldy, Fife

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 56.0983 / 56°5'53"N

Longitude: -3.1839 / 3°11'2"W

OS Eastings: 326447

OS Northings: 690136

OS Grid: NT264901

Mapcode National: GBR 28.MYDY

Mapcode Global: WH6RV.2Z4B

Plus Code: 9C8R3RX8+8C

Entry Name: Balwearie Flint Mill

Listing Name: Balwearie Cottage Flint Mill, Kiln, Mill Lade and Bridge

Listing Date: 26 March 1998

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 392347

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB45454

Building Class: Cultural

ID on this website: 200392347

Location: Kirkcaldy and Dysart

County: Fife

Electoral Ward: Burntisland, Kinghorn and Western Kirkcaldy

Parish: Kirkcaldy And Dysart

Traditional County: Fife

Tagged with: Cultural heritage ensemble

Find accommodation in


FLINT MILL: dated 175(6?)8; converted to flint mill circa 1840 (see Notes). Pantiled, rectangular-plan, rubble flint mill on ground falling sharply to E.

W (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: low wall with boarded timber door to centre in catslide roof.

S ELEVATION: remains of high-breast wheel with wood spokes and iron rings, axle and buckets, 24ft diameter.

N ELEVATION: round-headed blocked door to centre at ground, datestone ?175(6?)8?, and blocked window in gablehead.

E (TIEL BURN) ELEVATION: window opening to left, remains of iron structure lower down to right.

KILN: vertical tapering circular harled flint-calcining kiln above high rubble wall with round-arched, keystoned opening (firing floor) at ground level. Access to kiln from inside cottage.

MILL LADE AND BRIDGE: mill lade and round-arched, voussoired bridge to S of mill.

Statement of Interest

According to the NSA, large quantities of finely ground flint are required in pottery making to "give strength and whiteness to the body and to prevent cracking of the glaze". Two water-powered flint mills were powered by the Tiel Burn, Balwearie and nearby Hole Mill, which had calcining kiln, drying floors and a red brick stalk with corbelled cornice. Both mills were converted from 18th century corn mills and belonged to the Raith Estate but were worked by David Methven & Sons of the Links or Kirkcaldy potteries which worked from 1714 until closure in 1930. John Hunter flintmiller was tenant of Balwearie Flintmill house in 1893. Balwearie mill closed in 1924, and the current owner has found some pieces of fine earthenware in the grounds. Cottage not included in this listing.

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.