This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.8374 / 55°50'14"N
Longitude: -2.2656 / 2°15'56"W
OS Eastings: 383465
OS Northings: 660492
OS Grid: NT834604
Mapcode National: GBR D0MY.99
Mapcode Global: WH9Y1.5JFV
Plus Code: 9C7VRPPM+WQ
Entry Name: Mayfield Farmhouse
Listing Name: Mayfield Farmhouse Including Ancillary Structures, Boundary Walls and Garden Walls
Listing Date: 16 August 1999
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 393571
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB46310
Building Class: Cultural
Location: Bunkle and Preston
County: Scottish Borders
Electoral Ward: East Berwickshire
Parish: Bunkle And Preston
Traditional County: Berwickshire
Largely earlier 19th century, possibly late 18th century in part, with later additions and alterations. Symmetrical 2-storey, 3-bay plain classical style farmhouse with 2-storey and single storey with attic wing at rear forming L-plan; lean-to porch addition in rear re-entrant angle; lean-to conservatory adjoined to side. Dry-dashed; painted sandstone dressings. Painted margins; narrow quoin strips; painted margins; projecting cills. Single storey ancillary structures to N.
SE (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: steps to deep-set timber door centred at ground; original fanlight with diagonally-crossed astragals; single window aligned at 1st floor. Single windows at both floors in flanking bays. Lean-to conservatory adjoined to outer right.
SW (SIDE) ELEVATION: main 2-storey, 2-bay block with single windows in both bays at ground; single windows at 1st floor in bay off-set to left of centre and bay to outer left. Lower wing adjoined to outer left.
NW (REAR) ELEVATION: single windows at both floors in gabled projection to outer right; lean-to porch adjoined to left. Main house with stair (?) window at centre; 2 small windows at ground in bays to left; single window at 1st floor in bay to outer left.
NE (SIDE) ELEVATION: lean-to conservatory projecting at ground; blind at 1st floor; further single storey, mono-pitched block adjoined to outer right.
8- and 12-pane glazing in timber sash and case windows. Grey slate piended roof; rendered wallhead stacks; various circular cans. Cast-iron rainwater goods.
INTERIOR: not seen 1998.
ANCILLARY STRUCTURE 1: harl-pointed rubble, single storey, rectangular-plan structure to NW. Boarded timber doors; square-headed openings at rear. Steeply-pitched pantile roof; stone-coped skews; corniced, brick-built stack; circular can. INTERIOR: not seen 1998. ANCILLARY STRUCTURE 2: harl-pointed rubble, mono-pitched structure to NE; pantile roof. INTERIOR: not seen 1998.
BOUNDARY WALLS AND GARDEN WALLS: rubble-coped, heavily-pointed rubble walls partially enclosing site. Squared coping to red brick walls enclosing garden to NE.
Recorded in the OS Name Book as "...a well built farmhouse with...offices and medium sized farm attached." A simple but, from the front at least, relatively intact example of its plain classical type. Despite the modern dry-dash, the building remains fundamentally unchanged, with features including its timber door, original fanlight and timber sash and case windows still in place. Rutherfurd notes a Mr William Dunlop as farmer here in 1866. The farm steading is set to the W. The gabled ancillary structure to the rear has a steep pitch which suggests an 18th or even 17th century date and thus, that the 19th century farmhouse may incorporate fabric from an earlier farmhouse which was perhaps roofless by the time of Thomson's map (1821) and thus, omitted.