This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.8268 / 55°49'36"N
Longitude: -2.2857 / 2°17'8"W
OS Eastings: 382197
OS Northings: 659316
OS Grid: NT821593
Mapcode National: GBR D1G2.Y3
Mapcode Global: WH8WW.VTQ0
Plus Code: 9C7VRPG7+PP
Entry Name: Slighhouses Farmhouse
Listing Name: Slighhouses Farmhouse Including Garden Walls
Listing Date: 16 August 1999
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 393585
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB46316
Building Class: Cultural
Location: Bunkle and Preston
County: Scottish Borders
Electoral Ward: Mid Berwickshire
Parish: Bunkle And Preston
Traditional County: Berwickshire
Later to late 18th century with further additions and alterations. 2-storey, 3-bay, plain traditional farmhouse with lower wings at rear forming L-plan; single storey lean-to and piend-roofed additions in rear re-entrant angle. Dry-dashed; rendered dressings. Narrow quoin strips; rendered margins; flush cills.
SE (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: step to deep-set timber panelled door centred at ground; letterbox fanlight; single window aligned at 1st floor. Single windows at both floors in flanking bays.
SW (SIDE) ELEVATION: blind elevation to gabled block to outer right. Lower, 2-storey wing to left with modern window centred at ground; single window at 1st floor. Lower wing to outer left with single window centred at ground.
NW (REAR) ELEVATION: gabled wings projecting to outer right; single storey, lean-to addition to left; bipartite window in piend-roofed addition recessed to outer left.
NE (SIDE) ELEVATION: gabled block to left with single windows at both floors off-set to left of centre. Blind elevation to piend-roofed addition to right; 4-bay lean-to addition recessed to outer right with single window to left; boarded timber doors in remaining bays to right.
Predominantly 4-pane glazing in timber sash and case windows; some modern windows to sides and rear; small rooflights. Grey slate roofs; stone-coped skews; cast-iron rainwater goods. Corniced brick-built apex stacks (triple flues to main block); circular cans to rear; remainder missing.
INTERIOR: not seen 1998.
GARDEN WALLS: square coping to rubble walls partially enclosing site; red brick linings to former walled garden (?) to side.
According to Hardy, "...this farm is chiefly remarkable for having been the property of the late Dr James Hutton and the scene of almost the earliest improvements of agriculture in Scotland". Having studied various modes of husbandry in Norfolk, Hutton returned to his farm in 1754, bringing with him a plough and ploughmen, going on to exhibit the first example of good tillage. Despite its dry-dashed elevations, Slighhouses farmhouse remains fundamentally intact, with some good details - the deep-set entrance, symmetrical front, apex stacks and timber windows being particularly notable. Rutherfurd notes a Thomas Allan as farmer here in 1866.
Other nearby listed buildings