This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.7312 / 55°43'52"N
Longitude: -2.417 / 2°25'1"W
OS Eastings: 373908
OS Northings: 648721
OS Grid: NT739487
Mapcode National: GBR C2K5.JC
Mapcode Global: WH8XD.V66Q
Plus Code: 9C7VPHJM+F5
Entry Name: Garage, Gamekeeper's Cottage, Marchmont House
Listing Name: Marchmont Estate, Gamekeeper's Cottage Including Kennels
Listing Date: 16 August 1999
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 393592
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB46321
Building Class: Cultural
County: Scottish Borders
Electoral Ward: Mid Berwickshire
Traditional County: Berwickshire
Circa 1855 with later additions. Single storey with attic, 3-bay cottage with gabled wing at rear forming near L-plan; later flat-roofed porch in rear re-entrant angle. Squared and snecked tooled cream sandstone; droved sandstone dressings; harled rear wing. Overhanging bracketed timber eaves; droved quoins; droved long and short surrounds to chamfered openings; sandstone mullions to bipartites; projecting cills. Single storey, rectangular-plan kennel block to NE linked by later garage.
SE (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: step to 2-leaf boarded timber door centred at ground; 2-pane fanlight. Bracketed sandstone pentice canopies surmounting ground floor bipartite windows to left and right; small, gabled bipartite windows breaking eaves above.
NW (REAR) ELEVATION: gabled wing projecting to right with single window at ground off-set to left of centre. Flat-roofed porch slightly recessed to left; single window at ground in bay recessed to outer left.
Lying-pane glazing in timber casement windows. Grey slate roof; cast-iron rainwater goods. Corniced and harled apex stacks; circular cans.
INTERIOR: not seen 1998.
KENNELS: single storey kennel block, 3-bay to front, 5-bay at rear. Squared and tooled sandstone rubble; droved sandstone dressings. Droved quoins; droved long and short surrounds to openings; projecting cills; small-pane fanlights throughout. SE (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: door opening off-set to left of centre; 2 further door openings in remaining bays to right. Plain iron railings enclosing and segregating exercise area to front. NW (REAR) ELEVATION: boarded timber door at centre; part-ventilated window in bay to left; boarded timber door in bay to outer left. Boarded timber door off-set to right of centre; single window in bay to outer right. Timber windows (glazing missing in part); small rooflights. Grey slate piended roof; iron rainwater goods. Corniced and harled central ridge stack with paired square flues. INTERIOR: not seen 1998.
B Group comprises Marchmont House, Adam Bridge, the Cottages near the Remains of Redbraes Castle, the Dovecot, Gamekeeper's Cottage, Ice House, The Kennel House, 1 & 2 Marchmont Estate Cottages, Redbraes, Stable Courtyard and the Walled Garden (see separate list entries). Marked on the 1858 Ordnance Survey map as 'Marchmont Kennel', not to be confused with the later Kennel House (NT 7473, 4854). Noted in the OS Name Book as "2 buildings ... one a neat and comfortable dwelling occupied by Mr P Campbell, gamekeeper, with kitchen garden attached, the other a kennel and poultry house." Both the cottage and its associated kennel/poultry block retain some good details - the former with its bracketed canopies, gabled dormers and symmetrical front, and the latter with its boarded timber doors, small-pane fanlights and railed exercise enclosure. Further single storey ancillary structures are set to the NW and NE.
Other nearby listed buildings