This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.8124 / 55°48'44"N
Longitude: -2.1996 / 2°11'58"W
OS Eastings: 387588
OS Northings: 657703
OS Grid: NT875577
Mapcode National: GBR F127.L7
Mapcode Global: WH9Y8.55TG
Plus Code: 9C7VRR62+X5
Entry Name: Harelaw Farm Steading
Listing Name: Harelaw Farm Steading
Listing Date: 6 September 1999
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 393646
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB46358
Building Class: Cultural
County: Scottish Borders
Electoral Ward: East Berwickshire
Traditional County: Berwickshire
Earlier to mid 19th century with later additions and alterations. Predominantly single storey and single storey with attic steading complex comprising 2 originally H-plan groups with further L-plan range adjoined to N. Harl-pointed sandstone rubble (tooled and squared in part); tooled rubble dressings. Rubble quoins; long and short surrounds to openings. Boarded timber doors.
S (FRONT) ELEVATION: 2 U-plan open cattle courts enclosed on 3 sides by various pitched and piended ranges (iron columnar supports in part); rubble-coped, rubble walls enclosing courts to front. Gabled block to left with timber door centred at ground; exterior stair accessing timber door above; sandstone ledge and tiered pigeon holes centred in gablehead. Covered cattle courts and further gabled range to outer left. Blind elevations to single storey ranges dividing cattle courts. Gabled ranges to outer right.
CARTSHED: 6-bay cartshed with segmental-arched openings set in W elevation E range. Pointed and tooled sandstone rubble (weathered in part); square-plan piers; rubble voussoirs. Pantiled.
Various rooflights. Predominantly grey slate roofs; pantiled ranges to E; some corrugated-iron. Stone-coped skews; stone ridging; cast-iron rainwater goods.
INTERIOR: not seen 1998.
A substantial post-improvement 19th century steading. Of particular note is the arrangement of the 2 near H-plan groups, as well as the form of the open cattle courts, the pantiled cartshed and the traditional tiered pigeon holes. Although a 'Harelaw Farm' is shown on Blackadder's 1797 map, it is not on the same site as that which remains today and is most probably the now demolished 'Easter Harelaw'. Rutherfurd notes a Mr George Wilson as farmer here in 1866.
Other nearby listed buildings