This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.844 / 55°50'38"N
Longitude: -2.1185 / 2°7'6"W
OS Eastings: 392679
OS Northings: 661202
OS Grid: NT926612
Mapcode National: GBR F0NV.4Y
Mapcode Global: WH9Y3.FCFS
Plus Code: 9C7VRVVJ+HJ
Entry Name: Summerhouse, Ayton Castle
Listing Name: Ayton Castle, Walled Garden Including Potting Sheds and Summerhouse
Listing Date: 28 September 1999
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 393752
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB46447
Building Class: Cultural
County: Scottish Borders
Electoral Ward: East Berwickshire
Traditional County: Berwickshire
19th century with later additions and alterations. Near L-plan walled garden (approximately 15,500m?) set to SW of Ayton Castle, on hillside sloping steeply to S. Open to SE; tall, coped walls enclosing remaining sides to SW, NW and NE. Predominantly harl-pointed sandstone rubble to outer elevations; red-brick inner linings (rendered in part); tooled cream sandstone dressings. 3 tiered terraces (each approximately 80ft wide) set in upper level with balustered sandstone walls to front (obscured by overgrowth); sandstone stairs (each approximately 10ft wide) linking each terrace; squat, panelled and corniced sandstone piers flanking base of each stair. Various boarded timber doors in segmental-arched and square-headed openings accessing garden. Greenhouses (removed 1938) originally adjoined inner elevation NW wall.
POTTING SHEDS: range of single storey, lean-to potting sheds adjoining outer elevation NW wall. Whin and sandstone rubble; stugged red sandstone dressings; boarded timber doors; 4-pane glazing in timber sash and case windows. Grey slate roofs. INTERIORS: not seen 1998.
SUMMERHOUSE: 2-stage, octagonal-plan summerhouse set in NE wall with blind elevation to NE; arcaded elevation to SW. Tooled cream sandstone rubble to tall, battered 1st stage; coursed ashlar upper stage; ashlar dressings. Moulded eaves course; corniced eaves; plain parapet. SW (GARDEN/ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: 3 segmental-arched openings accessing interior. Tapering octagonal grey slate cap with banded fishscale detailing; surmounting finial. INTERIOR: boarded timber walls; plain timber benches.
B Group comprises 'Ayton Castle', 'Ayton Castle, Dovecot', 'Ayton Castle, North Lodge', 'Ayton Castle, South Lodge', 'Ayton Castle, Stable Courtyard' and 'Ayton Castle, Walled Garden' - see separate list entries. Overgrown 1998. A large, impressive walled garden which retains significant interest. According to an article in THE GARDENER'S CHRONICLE, 1881, each of the garden's terraces "...is about 80ft high and in front of each is a handsome balustered wall, with a large flight of steps down to each division, 10ft wide." The article then goes on to describe the various glasshouses, including a peach house, a vinery and a greenhouse with paths "...laid out with Minton's tiles of a very pretty pattern." All these greenhouses were dismantled in 1938 and later replaced by those now set separately to the N. 'Garden Cottage' - a single storey and single storey with attic, painted harl structure is still incorporated within the garden's NW wall.
Other nearby listed buildings