This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 56.2035 / 56°12'12"N
Longitude: -2.9971 / 2°59'49"W
OS Eastings: 338237
OS Northings: 701656
OS Grid: NO382016
Mapcode National: GBR 2H.F4MG
Mapcode Global: WH7SN.XBZP
Plus Code: 9C8V6233+95
Entry Name: Entrance Gate And Gate Piers, Lethem Glen
Listing Name: Letham Glen, Entrance Gate and Gates
Listing Date: 28 September 1999
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 393833
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB46504
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Leven, Kennoway and Largo
Traditional County: Fife
Dated 1925. Triumphal vehicular entrance arch to Letham Glen, and gatepiers. Channelled ashlar.
TRIUMPHAL ARCH: keystoned, moulded arch and cornice giving way to deep frieze inscribed '19' 'LETHAM GLEN' '25'. 2-leaf decorative metalwork gates.
E GATEPIERS: square section gatepiers with deep cornice and flat coping. 2-leaf decorative metalwork gates.
Letham Glen, formerly Spinkie Den, was formerly part of the Durie Estate. In 1920, out-of-work miners built an open-air swimming pool here, and in 1925 The Glen was gifted to the people of Leven and Scoonie by Mr Letham. In 1946 there was (still) a fresh water swimming pool, putting greens and a "platform with railings .... Leven's open-air theatre". At the time of listing (1999) the Glen houses a small animal park with round rubble dovecot, low rubble-walled enclosures and bridges.
Other nearby listed buildings