This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.7955 / 55°47'43"N
Longitude: -2.1159 / 2°6'57"W
OS Eastings: 392829
OS Northings: 655807
OS Grid: NT928558
Mapcode National: GBR F1NF.P9
Mapcode Global: WH9Y9.GLNG
Plus Code: 9C7VQVWM+6J
Entry Name: No 38, Foulden
Listing Name: Foulden Village, Mansefield
Listing Date: 24 January 2000
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 393910
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB46578
Building Class: Cultural
County: Scottish Borders
Electoral Ward: East Berwickshire
Traditional County: Berwickshire
Mid to later 19th century, possibly incorporating earlier fabric in part, with later 19th century single storey wing to right; further additions and alterations. Symmetrical, 2-storey (upper windows breaking eaves), 3-bay (2-bay at upper floor), semi-detached cottage forming part of terrace with single storey, 3-bay wing recessed to right. Squared and snecked tooled cream sandstone; ashlar dressings (droved in part). Corbelled eaves with dogtooth ornament to principal block; overhanging timber bracketed eaves to side wing. Droved quoins and long and short surrounds to chamfered margins.
S (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: principal block with part-glazed, timber gothic panelled door in basket-arched surround centred at ground. Bipartite windows flanking at ground; round-arched, broken pediments with heart-shaped motifs and obelisk finials to single windows breaking eaves above. Single storey wing recessed to right with 4-light glazing row at centre; flanking timber panelled doors in basket-arched surrounds; full-width verandah to front with slender colonnette and annulet supports; 2 louvred, trefoil openings in gabled vents above.
uPVC glazing to principal block; 3-pane timber windows to single storey wing. Red tile roofs with fishscale banding and bell-cast eaves to front; plain slates at rear; remains of decorative brattishing to single storey wing. Stone-coped skews and bracketed skewputts to principal block. Brick-built ridge and apex stacks; various cans.
INTERIOR: not seen 1999.
B Group comprises '16 Foulden Village', 'Foulden Village, Mansefield' and 'Foulden Village, Cheviot View' - see separate list entries. Marked as 'No 38' on the 1974 OS map. A well-detailed house, forming part of a picturesque, Flemish style terrace, fronting Foulden's main thoroughfare. The distinctive single storey wing was once a schoolroom, linked internally to the schoolmaster's house to its E (now 'Cheviot View'). Noted as a 'Girls' School' in 1885, the building later became a library and remained so until 1960 when it was subsequently linked to the house to its W (now 'Mansefield'). Details such as the broken pediments and decorative eaves are thought to date from the mid to later 19th century, when John Wilkie, then owner of Foulden House and principal landowner in the parish, funded and oversaw the renovation of the village. Wilkie was well travelled, and is said to have been particularly influenced by a village he had seen in Belgium - possibly accounting for the description of Foulden as '...a little Belgium in the heart of the Borders' (Berwickshire Advertiser, 1932). The OS Name Book however, notes how '...the houses are built of brick (in imitation of English cottages).' In 1842, prior to its renovation, Foulden village was described as having '...gone utterly to decay' (Topographical Gazetteer). By 1866, although much reduced in size, it was considered to be '...the prettiest [village] in the county' (Rutherfurd's).