History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Foulden Village, Wallflower Cottage Including Cobbled Walkway

A Category C Listed Building in Foulden, Scottish Borders

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.7958 / 55°47'44"N

Longitude: -2.1183 / 2°7'5"W

OS Eastings: 392680

OS Northings: 655841

OS Grid: NT926558

Mapcode National: GBR F1NF.56

Mapcode Global: WH9Y9.FLJ6

Entry Name: Foulden Village, Wallflower Cottage Including Cobbled Walkway

Listing Date: 24 January 2000

Category: C

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 393913

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB46581

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Foulden

County: Scottish Borders

Electoral Ward: East Berwickshire

Parish: Foulden

Traditional County: Berwickshire

Find accommodation in
Foulden

Description

Possibly 18th century in origin with mid to later 19th century alterations and additions. Symmetrical, single storey with attic, 3-bay cottage forming part of terrace. Harl-pointed rubble; brick-built dormers. Corbelled brick eaves course; rendered long and short surrounds to openings. Rubble at rear.

SW (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: timber gothic panelled door centred at ground; Tudor-arched, scroll-bracketed timber canopy. Bipartite windows flanking at ground; small single windows in later brick catslide dormers flanking centre above.

NE (REAR) ELEVATION: irregularly fenestrated at ground; rooflights flanking centre.

Modern glazing throughout. Red tile roof with fishscale banding to front; modern tiles at rear; skews. Brick-built ridge stack to NW; circular can.

INTERIOR: not seen 1999.

COBBLED WALKWAY: horonised whin-chip to front, forming part of continuous stretch.

Statement of Interest

Foulden Village B Group comprises 'No 37', 'No 37A', 'Burnbank, Drumoyne & The Old Schoolhouse', 'Rose Cottage', 'Thistle Cottage' and 'Wallflower Cottage' - see separate list entries. Marked as 'No 33' on the 1974 OS map. Forms part of a picturesque, Flemish style terrace, fronting Foulden's main thoroughfare. A modestly-detailed cottage, particularly notable for its timber canopy and brick eaves - thought to date from the mid to later 19th century, when John Wilkie, then owner of Foulden House and principal landowner in the parish, funded and oversaw the renovation of the village. Wilkie was well travelled, and is said to have been particularly influenced by a village he had seen in Belgium - possibly accounting for the description of Foulden as '...a little Belgium in the heart of the Borders' (Berwickshire Advertiser, 1932). The OS Name Book however, notes how '...the houses are built of brick (in imitation of English cottages).' In 1842, prior to its renovation, Foulden village was described as having '...gone utterly to decay' (Topographical Gazetteer). By 1866, although much reduced in size, it was considered to be '...the prettiest [village] in the county' (Rutherfurd's).

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.