This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.8872 / 55°53'13"N
Longitude: -2.1594 / 2°9'33"W
OS Eastings: 390127
OS Northings: 666015
OS Grid: NT901660
Mapcode National: GBR F0CC.9G
Mapcode Global: WH9XW.S9X5
Plus Code: 9C7VVRPR+V6
Entry Name: Courtburn, School Road, Coldingham
Listing Name: Coldingham, School Road, Courtburn House Including Ancillary Structure, Boundary Walls, Gatepiers and Gates
Listing Date: 26 January 2000
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 393946
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB46613
Building Class: Cultural
County: Scottish Borders
Electoral Ward: East Berwickshire
Traditional County: Berwickshire
18th century in origin with later additions and alterations. Symmetrical 2-storey, 3-bay house with single storey wing off-set to left at rear forming near T-plan; single storey greenhouse adjoined to side; later 2-storey wing to right at rear forming near F-plan with flanking single storey additions. Harl-pointed rubble to main block; pink sandstone dressings. Base course; narrow quoin strips; long and short surrounds to openings; painted margins; flush cills. Coursed, lightly bull-faced pink sandstone to later wing; crenellated parapets to flanking single storey additions; projecting cills throughout. Single storey, rectangular-plan ancillary structure (former stable/byre) to NW.
SW (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: principal block with part-glazed timber panelled door centred at ground; 2-pane fanlight; plain surround with bracketed, dentilled canopy. Single windows flanking at ground; single windows in all bays at 1st floor. Single storey greenhouse adjoined to outer left.
SE (SIDE) ELEVATION: gable end with projecting window at ground off-set to right of centre; small window off-set to right above. Bipartite windows in single storey, 2-bay wing recessed to right with lean-to addition to outer right. 2-storey wing set behind with crenellated projection at ground; boarded timber door to outer right; gabled dormerhead to single window breaking eaves off-set to left above.
NE (REAR) ELEVATION: principal block with circular window centred at 1st floor; single windows at both floors to outer left. Gabled, single storey projection off-set to left of centre with single window in lean-to addition to front. 2-storey wing projecting to outer right with single window centred at ground; single window single storey addition to left; part-glazed timber door and single window in single storey addition to right; square-headed opening adjoining ancillary structure to outer right.
4-pane glazing in timber sash and case windows to front; 12-pane glazing at rear. Grey slate roofs; stone-coped skews. Apex and wallhead stacks; various circular and octagonal cans.
INTERIOR: not seen 1999.
ANCILLARY STRUCTURE: former stable/byre. Harl-pointed rubble. NE (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: boarded timber stable door off-set to right. SW (REAR) ELEVATION: single window to right. Pantiled roof; stone-coped skews. INTERIOR: not seen 1999.
BOUNDARY WALLS, GATEPIERS AND GATES: coped rubble walls partially enclosing site; timber railings above in part. Square-plan, panelled timber gatepiers flanking entrance; finialled, corniced caps; 2-leaf timber gates.
Notable for the retention of much of its original traditional detailing and unusual in that its rear elevation fronts the road. Documents held by the current occupants (1999) record the house as having been sold to Rev Robert MacLaurin in 1815. The 1858 OS map marks the house as a school.
Other nearby listed buildings