This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.8518 / 55°51'6"N
Longitude: -2.1957 / 2°11'44"W
OS Eastings: 387846
OS Northings: 662087
OS Grid: NT878620
Mapcode National: GBR F03S.F3
Mapcode Global: WH9Y2.75PR
Entry Name: Reston, Main Street, Reston Parish Church (Church of Scotland) Including Boundary Walls
Listing Date: 26 January 2000
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 393979
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB46650
Building Class: Cultural
County: Scottish Borders
Electoral Ward: East Berwickshire
Traditional County: Berwickshire
Dated 1879, opened 1880, with later additions and alterations. Plain Early English style, rectangular-plan church with single storey vestry adjoined at rear. Squared whinstone rubble (rake-jointed in part); cream sandstone ashlar dressings. Base course; eaves course to E and W. Sandstone quoins; long and short surrounds to pointed-arched, chamfered openings; sandstone mullions; chamfered cills. Plate tracery.
N (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: steps to gabled entrance projecting at centre with 2-leaf, boarded timber, pointed-arched door; decorative iron hinges; chamfered surround; finialled gablehead. Large plate-traceried windows flanking entrance with pointed-arched hoodmoulds and circular stops. Arched panel aligned above entrance dated '1879' with ogee-shaped hoodmould, circular stops and decorative finial. Buttressed and gabled bellcote surmounting gablehead; bell in place.
W (SIDE) ELEVATION: symmetrical 5-bay nave with gabled dormerhead to large, plate-traceried window breaking eaves at centre; single windows in remaining bays to left and right. Vestry recessed to outer right.
S (REAR) ELEVATION: single storey vestry projecting at centre. Squat, plate-traceried windows flanking above with pointed-arched hoodmoulds and circular stops; blind tripartite opening centred in surmounting gablehead.
E (SIDE) ELEVATION: symmetrical 5-bay nave with gabled dormerhead to large, plate-traceried window breaking eaves at centre; single windows in remaining bays to left and right. Vestry recessed to outer left.
Predominantly modern timber glazing. Grey slate roof; decorative ridging. Stone-coped skews. Sandstone apex stack to S; various circular cans.
INTERIOR: flat-roofed, rectangular-plan vestibule with bipartite, pointed-arched window to S; part-glazed timber doors to E and W accessing nave (designed to seat 250). Boarded timber floor; boarded timber dado; combed ceiling with timber beams, carved springers and iron cross-beams. Timber pews; 2 pairs of box pews flanking pulpit. Various wall plaques. Panelled pulpit centred in S wall with stair to side; boarded timber door accessing vestry. Communion table and minister's chair from Langton Free Church. Lectern donated 1993.
BOUNDARY WALLS: rubble-coped rubble walls partially enclosing site. Corniced, square-plan gatepiers flanking entrance; 2-leaf iron gates.
Ecclesiastical building in use as such. Originally a Free Church, built at a cost of ?1250. A relatively plain, but essentially intact structure fronting Reston's Main Street. The retention of the box pews is particularly unusual.
Other nearby listed buildings