This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.855 / 55°51'17"N
Longitude: -2.2186 / 2°13'6"W
OS Eastings: 386414
OS Northings: 662439
OS Grid: NT864624
Mapcode National: GBR D0YR.H0
Mapcode Global: WH9Y1.W3QB
Plus Code: 9C7VVQ3J+XH
Entry Name: Shawbraes
Listing Name: Shawbraes Farmhouse Including Garden Walls
Listing Date: 26 January 2000
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 394001
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB46664
Building Class: Cultural
County: Scottish Borders
Electoral Ward: East Berwickshire
Traditional County: Berwickshire
18th century in origin with later additions and alterations. Symmetrical 2-storey, 5-bay, rectangular-plan farmhouse with taller addition at rear forming near L-plan; single storey, single bay wing to outer right; later single storey, 3-bay wing recessed to outer left. Harl-pointed sandstone and whinstone rubble; cream sandstone dressings; dry-dashed wing to outer left. Droved quoins and long and short surrounds to openings in part; ashlar margins; projecting cills throughout.
S (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: main block with timber panelled door centred at ground; 2-pane letterbox fanlight; single window aligned at 1st floor; single windows at both floors in remaining bays to left and right. Single window in single storey wing to outer right. Single windows in 3-bay wing recessed to outer left.
E (SIDE) ELEVATION: single storey projection to left with single windows in both bays; principal block set behind with small attic light off-set to left of centre. Taller wing adjoined to right.
Predominantly 8- and 12-pane glazing in timber sash and case windows. Grey slate roofs; stone-coped skews to principal block; scrolled skewputts with decorative rope-moulding. Sandstone apex and wallhead stacks; brick-built stack to rear wing; various circular cans. Iron rainwater goods.
INTERIOR: not seen 1999.
GARDEN WALLS: coped rubble walls partially enclosing site.
Noted in the OS Name Book as "...a neat and good house, 2 stories [sic] high and slated, with small garden and suitable offices attached." An early, well-detailed farmhouse which appears to have evolved over a considerable period of time. The scrolled skewputts suggest the original structure dates to before 1800. The fact that the right hand side of the principal block lacks both quoins and surrounds to its openings (which are themselves closer together than those to the left) suggests that this portion of the house is the earliest. The remains of the former farm steading are set to the SW. Rutherfurd's notes a Mr James Anderson as farmer here in 1866.
Other nearby listed buildings