This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.8652 / 55°51'54"N
Longitude: -2.2151 / 2°12'54"W
OS Eastings: 386634
OS Northings: 663578
OS Grid: NT866635
Mapcode National: GBR D0ZM.7B
Mapcode Global: WH9XV.YVC1
Plus Code: 9C7VVQ8M+3X
Entry Name: Farmsteading With Cobbled Yard, Hillend
Listing Name: Hillend Farm Steading Including Cobbled Yard
Listing Date: 26 January 2000
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 393963
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB46630
Building Class: Cultural
County: Scottish Borders
Electoral Ward: East Berwickshire
Traditional County: Berwickshire
Early to earlier 19th century, possibly incorporating earlier fabric, with later additions and alterations. Single and 2-storey steading complex comprising near U-plan courtyard with various additions set within forming near E-plan. Later, free standing range enclosing courtyard to E incorporating cartshed and granary. Harl-pointed sandstone and whinstone rubble throughout; tooled sandstone quoins and long and short surrounds to openings; projecting cills.
W RANGE, W (REAR) ELEVATION: 2-storey, 3-bay block at centre (cattle shed with hayloft above) with boarded timber feeding door openings at ground in bays flanking centre; squat, boarded openings in all bays to loft at 1st floor. Single storey ranges, blank, adjoined to outer left and right. E (COURTYARD) ELEVATION: gabled projections to outer left (S range) and right (N range); single storey piended projection at centre.
S RANGE, N (COURTYARD) ELEVATION: set on sloping site. Boarded timber doors at ground; 2 boarded timber openings at 1st floor off-set to left of centre. S (REAR) ELEVATION: 3 linked piended projections to left with large, sliding doors off-set to left (cattle sheds - overlapping ventilation slates). Separate piended projection to right (former power house) with later addition to front; remains of square-plan stalk to right. Adjoining barn recessed to right with exterior stair to boarded timber door breaking eaves off-set to left.
N RANGE, S (COURTYARD) ELEVATION: boarded timber door off-set to left of centre; single window at ground to left; various projections to outer left. N (REAR) ELEVATION: boarded timber door off-set to right of centre; small window at ground off-set to left. E (SIDE) ELEVATION: gable end with boarded timber door at ground off-set to left; boarded timber opening centred in gablehead.
E RANGE, W (COURTYARD) ELEVATION: 2-storey, 4-bay cartshed and granary at centre with arched cart openings at ground; single windows aligned above; forestair accessing upper floor to outer right. Single storey range recessed to left with boarded timber doors in 2 bays to right of centre; large 2-leaf door to outer left. Single storey range recessed to right with 2 boarded timber doors off-set to left of centre. E (REAR) ELEVATION: single storey, 3-bay, lean-to projection adjoining cartshed. Single window in single storey range to outer right. Substantial lean-to addition, incorporating implement shed, to outer left.
Some small-pane timber windows; various rooflights. Predominantly grey slate roofs; some corrugated-iron. Stone-coped skews.
INTERIOR: not seen 1999.
COBBLED YARD: in part.
A substantial, well-detailed and essentially intact example of a 19th century courtyard steading. Features of particular note include the slate roofs, the cartshed and granary and the cobbled yard. Drawings dated 1831 and held in the SRO, show the original U-plan steading, prior to the erection of the E range. The former power house and squat stalk are all that remain of the "...thrashing mill propelled by steam" noted in the OS Name Book. Various modern sheds have been erected to the S. Rutherfurd's notes a Mr Charles Belaney as farmer here in 1866. See separate list entry for the nearby, associated Hillend Farmhouse.
Other nearby listed buildings