This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.8605 / 55°51'37"N
Longitude: -2.2344 / 2°14'3"W
OS Eastings: 385426
OS Northings: 663055
OS Grid: NT854630
Mapcode National: GBR D0VP.11
Mapcode Global: WH9XV.NY6P
Plus Code: 9C7VVQ68+56
Entry Name: Garden Bridge, Houndwood House
Listing Name: Houndwood House Including Garden Bridges to N and W
Listing Date: 26 January 2000
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 335309
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB4098
Building Class: Cultural
County: Scottish Borders
Electoral Ward: East Berwickshire
Traditional County: Berwickshire
Original peel tower, possibly later 16th century in origin, refronted with substantial 19th and 20th century Scottish 17th century style additions and alterations. Asymmetrical 2-storey with basement, originally rectangular-plan structure with later rectangular-plan block adjoined to NE corner; full-height, M-gabled projection to front (dated '1848') with lower, gabled addition in re-entrant angle to left; single storey porch set at angle to right. Harled with sandstone ashlar dressings (droved in part).
N (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: projecting single storey porch set at angle in re-entrant to outer right with steps to boarded timber door centred at ground; 2-pane fanlight; roll-moulded surround; carved square-plan panel inscribed 'I saved the King' aligned above; weathered, triangular tablet (dated '1656') centred in crowstepped apex; single window in bay recessed to left. Full-height, M-gabled projection to left with part-glazed timber panelled door at basement to right; small window off-set to left; single windows at both floors above (upper lintel dated '1848'); lower, gabled projection adjoining bay to left; single windows at upper floor. Single storey with basement, 2-bay block slightly projecting to left with single windows at ground; crowstepped dormerheads to upper windows breaking eaves (corbelled cill to left); single storey, lean-to addition to outer left.
E (SIDE) ELEVATION: projecting gable end to outer right with irregularly fenestrated, full-width, single storey, lean-to addition to front. Full-height block recessed to left with single window at basement off-set to left of centre; single windows at ground; single window centred at 1st floor with gabled wallhead dormerhead; modern external stair to front.
S (REAR) ELEVATION: 6-bay at ground. Principal 5-bay range with 4 irregularly-spaced, small basement windows; single windows in all bays at ground; gabled dormerheads to single windows breaking eaves above. Crowstepped gable end to right with single window at ground off-set to left of centre. Lower block recessed to outer right with modern external stair accessing part-glazed timber door at ground; single storey, lean-to addition to right.
W (SIDE) ELEVATION: projecting gable end to right with timber door at basement. Gabled porch set at angle recessed to left with M-gabled projection set behind. Projecting gable end recessed to outer left with lower addition in re-entrant angle to front (gabled dormerheads to upper windows breaking eaves).
Plate glass, 8- and 12-pane glazing in timber sash and case windows. Grey slate roofs; sandstone ridging; crowstepped skews; scroll-bracketed skewputts. Various coped and corniced ridge and apex stacks; circular and octagonal cans.
INTERIOR: stone-flagged vestibule floor. Original block with full-length vaulted basement running E-W with further vaulted chambers to S; full-height turnpike stair in NE corner (stair to NW removed). Ground floor reception rooms with decorative plaster cornices; timber panelled doors; some timber dado panelling; fireplaces.
GARDEN BRIDGES: 2 small mid 19th century bridges set to N and W of house with low, coped, arcaded ashlar parapets; rubble arches.
B Group comprises 'Houndwood House', 'Houndwood House, Bridge', 'Houndwood House, South Lodge' and 'Houndwood House, Walled Garden' - see separate list entries. One of the most significant and prominently sited houses in the parish, thought to date back in part to the later 16th century. Externally, there is little to indicate the presence of a peel tower. However, inside, the full-length vaulted basement, 4ft thick walls and turnpike stair suggest the remains of a tower were indeed incorporated within this later structure. The tower is thought to have been that built by Alexander Home of Kimmerghame around 1573. Originally rectangular in plan, Houndwood has been much modernised by the building of a new front to the N (a sketch in possession of the current owner shows the S front as having been the original entrance with a forestair accessing a pilastered door), and subsequent additions and alterations in the 19th and 20th centuries. The weathered triangular tablet above the door at Houndwood, dated '1656', is said to have been brought from the old mansion house of Fulfordlees. A Mrs Coulson is noted as resident here in 1866.
Other nearby listed buildings