This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.1304 / 57°7'49"N
Longitude: -2.1038 / 2°6'13"W
OS Eastings: 393817
OS Northings: 804395
OS Grid: NJ938043
Mapcode National: GBR SBN.VB
Mapcode Global: WH9QX.N1FK
Entry Name: Duthie Park, Bandstand
Listing Date: 29 February 2000
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 394133
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB46777
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Torry/Ferryhill
Traditional County: Aberdeenshire
McDowall, Steven & Co, Glasgow, 1893. Octagonal cast-iron bandstand. Granite plinth with 5 steps to N leading to platform; cast-iron column supports stamped with makers' name, 8 around perimeter linked by geometric railings, and one to centre, stylised Corinthian capitals with mullets inset; copper octagonal ogee roof with boarded timber underside, supported on decorative ironwork brackets, weathervane to apex; decorative ironwork finials at angles of roof, cartouches bearing Aberdeen coat of arms between.
B-Group with Duthie Park Bowling Pavilion, East Lodge, Gates, Gatepiers and Boundary Walls, Footbridge over Upper Lake, Fountain, Fountainhall Cistern House, Gordon Highlanders Celtic Memorial, Gordon Highlanders Obelisk Memorial, Hygeia Statue, McGrigor Obelisk, Taylor Well, and Temperance Drinking Fountain (see separate listings). The site of the Duthie Park was originally a marshy piece of land covered in gorse (or whin, hence the nearby "Whinhill Road), it was known as Pulmoor, now "Polmuir". In 1850 Arthurseat (the villa on the site) and its surrounding land was intended to be developed as a Royal Garden to view the trains crossing the new viaduct to and from London via Ferryhill. However, in 1881 Miss Charlotte Duthie of Ruthrieston purchased the site and gifted it to the City of Aberdeen for a public park. It was decided it should be "available for all classes of citizens, that it should have a broad expanse of grassy sward upon which the young might indulge in innocent frolic and play...." (Duthie Park, p37). The park was designed by William R McKelvie of Dundee, and the first sod, of the 47 acres of land, was cut on the 27th of August 1881, the park being officially opened in 1883. Although a slightly later addition to the Duthie Park, the bandstand is prominently sited in the centre of the main green and forms and important focus. The elaborate cast-iron work, notably the brackets, finials and railings survive in near perfect condition.
Other nearby listed buildings