History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Off Grange Road to West, Wester Gellet Farmhouse, Including Boundary Wall

A Category C Listed Building in Dunfermline, Fife

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 56.0485 / 56°2'54"N

Longitude: -3.4577 / 3°27'27"W

OS Eastings: 309296

OS Northings: 684915

OS Grid: NT092849

Mapcode National: GBR 1Y.QWPJ

Mapcode Global: WH5QY.V7MH

Entry Name: Off Grange Road to West, Wester Gellet Farmhouse, Including Boundary Wall

Listing Date: 10 March 2000

Category: C

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 394298

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB46909

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Dunfermline

County: Fife

Electoral Ward: Dunfermline Central

Traditional County: Fife

Find accommodation in
Rosyth

Description

Late 18th century with late 19th century alterations. 2-storey; 4-bay; rectangular-plan farmhouse with simplified Gibbs doorcase to entrance (N) elevation. Harled exterior with painted ashlar dressings. Quoins at angles of main block; coped gables. Architraved openings to main block.

N (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: entrance with simplified Gibbs surround surmounted by pediment to left of centre; 9-panel timber door with rectangular fanlight. Window above and one to each floor to flanking bays (1 to left, 2 to right), including tall late 19th century round-arched stair window to right. Entrance to later single storey lean-to adjoining to left.

S ELEVATION: late 19th century full-height droved ashlar canted bay to outer left; mullioned 5-light window to each floor. Window to each floor to each of 2 bays to right. Window to later single storey lean-to set back slightly to right.

W ELEVATION: outer flanking windows to gable end to each floor (those to right are blocked, that to left of ground floor is taller). Traces of former pair of attic windows above.

E ELEVATION: window to right of gable end. Window to later projecting single storey lean-to.

Mainly 2-pane timber sash and case windows. Grey slate roof. Gablehead stack at either end of block and central ridge stack; all with band courses (2 with vertical margins); round cans.

INTERIOR: late 19th century dog-leg staircase with cast-iron balustrade. Damaged early sandstone fireplace surround to E of main block.

BOUNDARY WALL: rubble boundary wall, including more finely coursed section with rounded coping immediately to S of house.

Statement of Interest

A fairly substantial relatively early estate farmhouse (probably constructed for the estate of the Wellwood family, although it now belongs to that of Lord Elgin). An earlier settlement here may be that shown as 'E Gellet' on Blaeu's map of 1654 and 'E Gillot' on Ainslie's map of 1775 (the latter appears with the symbol for an important residence and the name of its proprietor, 'Robb Wellwood Esq'. What is shown as West Gellet on both of these maps appears to have been a separate settlement to the south west. In the earlier-mid 19th century the present Wester Gellet was known as 'Middle Gellet' (as identifiable on Sharp et. alls Map and the 1856 OS Map).

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.