History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Auchincruive Estate, West Lodge, Including Boundary Walls

A Category C Listed Building in Ayr, South Ayrshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.4801 / 55°28'48"N

Longitude: -4.5666 / 4°33'59"W

OS Eastings: 237894

OS Northings: 623692

OS Grid: NS378236

Mapcode National: GBR 3D.WT2S

Mapcode Global: WH3QV.TJL7

Entry Name: Auchincruive Estate, West Lodge, Including Boundary Walls

Listing Date: 14 April 1971

Category: C

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 394385

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB47001

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Ayr

County: South Ayrshire

Electoral Ward: Kyle

Traditional County: Ayrshire

Find accommodation in
Monkton

Description

Earlier 19th century, with later additions. Single storey, 3-bay, rectangular-plan lodge. Coursed sandstone ashlar. Base course; projecting cills; eaves cornice; eaves blocking course.

E (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: symmetrical; entrance bay slightly advanced to centre, 2-leaf panelled timber door with decorative fanlight set in round-arch with impost detail. Window in each flanking bay.

N ELEVATION: window to centre. Modern flat-roofed harled addition adjoining to outer right.

W ELEVATION: obscured by modern flat-roofed harled addition.

S ELEVATION: window to centre. Modern flat-roofed harled addition adjoining to outer left.

Predominantly 12-pane timber sash and case windows. Piended grey slate roof with lead ridges. Harled coped ridge stack with circular cans. Cast-iron rainwater goods.

INTERIOR: not seen 1999.

BOUNDARY WALLS: coped sandstone boundary walls to N.

Statement of Interest

A-Group with East Lodge, Gibbsyard, Hanging Garden, Ice House, Oswald Hall, Oswald's Temple, Walled Garden and Wilson Hall (see separate listings). Well detailed classical lodge to Auchincruive House, near identical to East Lodge (see separate listing). The Auchincruive Estate was owned by the Wallace family in the 13th century. There were a variety of owners until the 18th century when James Murray of Broughton sold it to Richard Oswald, entrepreneur and merchant, in 1764. The estate remained in the Oswald family until 1925, when they sold it to a local farmer John M Hannah, who gifted it to the West of Scotland Agricultural College in 1927, under whose ownership it remains (1999).

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.