This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.4782 / 55°28'41"N
Longitude: -4.5597 / 4°33'34"W
OS Eastings: 238327
OS Northings: 623465
OS Grid: NS383234
Mapcode National: GBR 3D.WVZK
Mapcode Global: WH3QV.XKXP
Plus Code: 9C7QFCHR+74
Entry Name: Dairy Research Department, Auchincruive Estate
Listing Name: Auchincruive Estate, Dairy Research Department
Listing Date: 12 November 2004
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 397840
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB50014
Building Class: Cultural
County: South Ayrshire
Electoral Ward: Kyle
Traditional County: Ayrshire
Alex Mair, circa 1931; extension to rear Cowie Torry & Partners, 1986. Symmetrical 2-storey piend-roofed classical-style block; central advanced entrance bay with projecting corniced doorpiece (inscribed tablet); flanking bays of 2 sets of paired windows, those to 1st floor smaller. 3-bay gables. Red brick base course; red tiled cills; broad overhanging eaves, mutuled to entrance bay. Rendered.
N (REAR) ELEVATION: 8 bays with flanking outer bays, that to R single storey wing with blind arch. Elevated single storey long extension to L with brick course, regular fenestration and piended slate roof with broad eaves.
Metal small-pane casement windows. Cast-iron rainwater goods with decorative hoppers. Grey graded slates.
INTERIOR: not seen (2004).
A Group with Gibbsyard, Hanging Garden, Ice House, Oswald Hall, Oswald's Temple, Walled Garden, West Lodge and Wilson Hall (see separate listings). Auchincruive estate was in the hands of the Wallace family in the 13th century and a variety of owners followed. In the 18th century James Murray of Broughton sold it to Richard Oswald, entrepreneur and merchant. Around 1764 Robert Adam was commissioned to build a new house and associated buildings for Oswald. The estate remained in the Oswald family until 1925 when it was sold to John M Hannah, a local farmer. Hannah gifted it to the West of Scotland Agricultural College in 1927, under whose ownership it remains today (2004). The Dairy Research Department, adjacent Dairy School and the Apiary were all designed by Alex Mair in restrained classical mode. The Dairy School processed milk from the herd of Ayrshire cows into cheese and together with the Research Department contained laboratories, testing, processing and lecture rooms.