This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.4801 / 55°28'48"N
Longitude: -4.5666 / 4°33'59"W
OS Eastings: 237894
OS Northings: 623692
OS Grid: NS378236
Mapcode National: GBR 3D.WT2S
Mapcode Global: WH3QV.TJL7
Plus Code: 9C7QFCJM+28
Entry Name: West Lodge, Auchincruive
Listing Name: Auchincruive Estate, West Lodge, Including Boundary Walls
Listing Date: 14 April 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 394385
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB47001
Building Class: Cultural
County: South Ayrshire
Electoral Ward: Kyle
Traditional County: Ayrshire
Earlier 19th century, with later additions. Single storey, 3-bay, rectangular-plan lodge. Coursed sandstone ashlar. Base course; projecting cills; eaves cornice; eaves blocking course.
E (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: symmetrical; entrance bay slightly advanced to centre, 2-leaf panelled timber door with decorative fanlight set in round-arch with impost detail. Window in each flanking bay.
N ELEVATION: window to centre. Modern flat-roofed harled addition adjoining to outer right.
W ELEVATION: obscured by modern flat-roofed harled addition.
S ELEVATION: window to centre. Modern flat-roofed harled addition adjoining to outer left.
Predominantly 12-pane timber sash and case windows. Piended grey slate roof with lead ridges. Harled coped ridge stack with circular cans. Cast-iron rainwater goods.
INTERIOR: not seen 1999.
BOUNDARY WALLS: coped sandstone boundary walls to N.
A-Group with East Lodge, Gibbsyard, Hanging Garden, Ice House, Oswald Hall, Oswald's Temple, Walled Garden and Wilson Hall (see separate listings). Well detailed classical lodge to Auchincruive House, near identical to East Lodge (see separate listing). The Auchincruive Estate was owned by the Wallace family in the 13th century. There were a variety of owners until the 18th century when James Murray of Broughton sold it to Richard Oswald, entrepreneur and merchant, in 1764. The estate remained in the Oswald family until 1925, when they sold it to a local farmer John M Hannah, who gifted it to the West of Scotland Agricultural College in 1927, under whose ownership it remains (1999).
Other nearby listed buildings