This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.4699 / 55°28'11"N
Longitude: -4.5991 / 4°35'56"W
OS Eastings: 235801
OS Northings: 622631
OS Grid: NS358226
Mapcode National: GBR 3B.XKKY
Mapcode Global: WH3QV.BS62
Plus Code: 9C7QFC92+X9
Entry Name: Cathedral Of The Good Shepherd, 37 Dalmilling Crescent, Ayr
Listing Name: Dalmilling Crescent, Cathedral of the Good Shepherd (Roman Catholic) Including Gatepiers, Gates, Railings and Boundary Wall
Listing Date: 29 March 2000
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 394568
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB47178
Building Class: Cultural
County: South Ayrshire
Electoral Ward: Ayr North
Traditional County: Ayrshire
John Torry, 1955-7; refurbished 1985. Near-rectangular-plan Roman Catholic church with modernist Scandinavian. Brick. Cill band course to entrance elevation. Predominantly square-headed window openings.
NE (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: gabled entrance porch; round-arched entrance; 2-pairs of timber doors; fanlight; flanking single windows; single windows to re-entrant angles; stepped E window to gable (central opening round-arched); cross to gablehead. 2 round-arched windows to return of canted bay to outer left. Square-plan tower to outer right; rectangular plaque; band course to 3 corniced openings; vertical round-arched narrow stair window; 2 windows flanking; smaller louvred square-plan bell-tower atop.
NW (DALMILLING ROAD) ELEVATION: 10-bay, grouped 1-5-1-3. Advanced square-plan tower to outer left (see above). 5 nave windows; 4 tripartite windows and one advanced round-arched window to side-aisles. Shallow gabled advanced chapel bay; tall strip window; flanking bipartite windows. Glazed timber door and tripartite window to advanced adjoining bay to right; tripartite window to re-entrant angle; 3-light window to altar bay to right; small square window to advanced section to outer right.
SE (DALMILLING CRESCENT) ELEVATION: 8-bay, grouped 1-1-6. 3-light window to altar bay to left; single window to advanced single storey section below, linking arched walkway from church to manse. Shallow gabled advanced chapel bay; tall strip window; flanking bipartite windows; single window to return to right. 5 nave windows, statue of the Good Shepherd in final bay to right; timber door with fanlight and flanking round-arched windows to single storey side aisle to left, spanning 2 bays; polygonal-plan bay with round-arched windows to right; tripartite windows at ground to remaining bays between.
SW ELEVATION: not seen 1999.
Small paned windows; stained glass (see below). Roof unseen 1999; wallhead stack; circular can. Cast-iron rainwater goods.
INTERIOR: includes fittings from Pugin & Pugin's St Robert Bellarmine, Glasgow and stained glass from Pugin & Pugin's Our Lady and St Margaret's Church in Kinning Park, Glasgow (1882). Corniced flat-roofed ceiling; brick arches to side aisles; Stations of the Cross between; timber pews and altar furnishings; marble detailing to side chapels; timber surround to Christ on the Cross; E window organ gallery; timber parquet, carpeted and tiled flooring.
GATEPIERS, GATES, RAILINGS AND BOUNDARY WALL: square-plan brick gatepiers to NE, SW and NW elevations; 2-leaf and single iron gates and railings atop brick boundary wall enclosing site.
Ecclesiastical building in use as such. Presbytery attached to SE elevation. Opened in September, 1957 the cost of construction was ?64,000. Raised to cathedral status in 1961. The church is a good example of post-war architecture with its distinctive brick work and cream stone detailing, ennobled by its fine square-plan tower.
Other nearby listed buildings