History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

2, 4 New Road and 1 Weaver Street Including Boundary Wall

A Category C Listed Building in Ayr, South Ayrshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.4687 / 55°28'7"N

Longitude: -4.6291 / 4°37'44"W

OS Eastings: 233902

OS Northings: 622575

OS Grid: NS339225

Mapcode National: GBR 39.XJRT

Mapcode Global: WH2PP.VSVZ

Entry Name: 2, 4 New Road and 1 Weaver Street Including Boundary Wall

Listing Date: 29 March 1999

Category: C

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 394594

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB47219

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Ayr

County: South Ayrshire

Electoral Ward: Ayr North

Traditional County: Ayrshire

Find accommodation in
Prestwick

Description

James A Morris & JK Hunter, 1891. 3-storey, 8-bay former Unionist Club on corner-site. Sandstone rubble. Base course; 1st floor band course; timber bracketed eaves (to SW elevation); slightly raised window margins.

NW (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: grouped 2-4-2. Central round-arched entrance to 4-bay section; 2-leaf timber door to left; painted segmental-headed pediment; glazed brick to right; multi-paned glazing above and to split fanlight; sunken circular panels flanking; 2 single windows flanking at ground floor; 4 deep windows at 1st floor. Corniced entrance to left to 2-bay section to outer left; 2-leaf timber door; partly infilled multi-paned letterbox fanlight; single window to right; 2 pairs of bipartite windows at 1st floor; roundel beneath eaves to right; section rises to form corniced parapet; bipartite window to 2nd floor. Regular fenestration to all floors of 2-bay section to outer right; rises at 2nd floor to form gablehead.

SW (SIDE) ELEVATION: 3-bay. Central canted window at ground; plaque to left (see Notes); 3 single corniced windows at 1st floor; central tripartite window at 2nd floor, breaking eaves to form timber gable.

Predominantly split lower pane and 6-pane upper sashes to timber sash and case windows. Grey slate roof; stone skews; roll-moulded skewputts; gablehead and wallhead stacks.

INTERIOR: not seen 1998.

BOUNDARY WALL: low coped boundary wall to SW elevation (modern railings surmounting).

Statement of Interest

Former Unionist Club. Plaque to SW elevation reads "Erected AD 1891. This memorial stone was unveiled the 23rd day of October in the same year by the right honourable Lord Halsbury, Lord High Chancellor of Great Britain".

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.