This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.4741 / 55°28'26"N
Longitude: -4.6251 / 4°37'30"W
OS Eastings: 234177
OS Northings: 623162
OS Grid: NS341231
Mapcode National: GBR 39.X5NT
Mapcode Global: WH2PP.XNRV
Plus Code: 9C7QF9FF+JX
Entry Name: St James' Parish Church, Prestwick Road, Ayr
Listing Name: Prestwick Road, St James' Parish Church, Church Hall and Manse (Church of Scotland) Including Gatepiers, Gates, Lamp Standards, Railings and Boundary Wall
Listing Date: 29 March 1999
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 394604
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB47227
Building Class: Cultural
County: South Ayrshire
Electoral Ward: Ayr North
Traditional County: Ayrshire
John Murdoch, 1885. 2-storey, 3-bay aisled Gothic church on corner site with square-plan 2-stage tower to left. Squared and snecked sandstone. Buttresses divide bays; pointed-arched openings.
SE (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: central entrance to gabled central bay; 2-leaf timber door and fanlight; flanking quatrefoil roundels; string course; 3-light tracery window aligned above; hoodmould; quatrefoil tracery to gablehead roundel; pinnacle rises from buttress to right. 3-light window at ground to bay to right; hoodmould; 3-light tracery window aligned above. Tracery window at 1st stage of recessed tower to outer left; bipartite louvred openings at 2nd stage; castellated parapet; castellated pinnacle rises from corner to outer left.
SW (FALKLAND PARK ROAD) ELEVATION: 5-bay with tower to outer right. 2-light openings at both floors to 5 bays to left. Tower to outer right (see above).
Leaded and stained glass windows. Grey slate roof; stone skews.
INTERIOR: gilded Corinthian columns and barley sugar stair balusters; pointed-arched gallery arcade; ribbed ceiling; timber pews, gallery and furnishings; organ by H Hilsdon, dated 1925 to timber panelled sanctuary; rose window.
CHURCH HALL: Alex Mair, 1933. Single storey, 6-bay red sandstone church hall (harled to side). Advanced square-headed entrance breaking roofline; 2-leaf timber door; fanlight; 2 single windows flanking; additional single window to outer right. Timber floor; round-arched proscenium; arched banded ceiling to interior.
MANSE: single and 2-storey, 5-bay manse (grouped 2-2-1). Re-entrant angle entrance to penultimate bay to left in single storey 2-bay section (linking vestry to manse); bipartite window to outer left. Tripartite window at ground floor, bipartite window at 1st floor (both round-arched) to 3rd gabled bay to left; later gabled bay to outer right, windows at ground and 1st floor; windows at ground and 1st floor to recessed bay between.
Plate glass timber sash and case windows and modern windows. Grey slate roof; ridge stacks; circular cans.
GATEPIERS, GATES, LAMP STANDARDS, RAILINGS AND BOUNDARY WALL: square-plan gatepiers to central entrance to church; iron lamp standards surmounting; square-plan gatepiers to outer right of entrance to manse; iron gatepiers to central entrance to church hall; 2-leaf iron gates to all entrances; iron railings atop sections of coped boundary wall enclosing site.
Ecclesiastical building in use as such. Measurements for the church as described in the Ayr Advertiser are 83 feet in length, 52 feet in breadth and seated to accommodate 842 sitters. The manse (erected shortly after the church) is connected to the church via the vestry.
Other nearby listed buildings