History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Straloch School and Schoolhouse with Post Box

A Category C Listed Building in Blairgowrie and Glens, Perth and Kinross

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 56.757 / 56°45'25"N

Longitude: -3.5636 / 3°33'49"W

OS Eastings: 304495

OS Northings: 763910

OS Grid: NO044639

Mapcode National: GBR KBKV.QBV

Mapcode Global: WH5MF.7F9C

Entry Name: Straloch School and Schoolhouse with Post Box

Listing Date: 5 March 2001

Category: C

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 394979

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB47645

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Moulin

County: Perth and Kinross

Electoral Ward: Blairgowrie and Glens

Traditional County: Perthshire

Find accommodation in
Straloch

Description

1849 and circa 1875. Single storey, 5-bay gabled school with 2-storey, 2-bay schoolhouse all with bracketed eaves in terraced line, single pile. Roughly squared rubble with stugged quoins.

SCHOOL:

S (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: 2 windows to low centre bays (original school) with 2 further windows to broad gable at left, wall-mounted post box between and timber door under low roof to outer left. M-gable of taller schoolhouse to outer right with small timber porch projecting immediately to right of centre, windows in flanking bays and 2 gablehead windows above.

W ELEVATION: low catslide roof projecting to outer right with part-blocked window to left in recessed face.

N (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: variety of elements to asymmetrical elevation including large piended timber porch to centre and gabled outer bays.

12-pane glazing in timber sash and case windows. Graded grey slates. Coped squared rubble stacks with cans. Deeply overhanging eaves.

Statement of Interest

The original building housed a single room school and 2 room schoolhouse, the former is now used as the dining hall. Extended during the 1870s (presumably after the 1872 Education Act) to include the current classroom with 2 further rooms added to the schoolhouse. At resurvey (2000) the school had a roll of 11 pupils.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.