This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.7205 / 55°43'13"N
Longitude: -2.749 / 2°44'56"W
OS Eastings: 353046
OS Northings: 647703
OS Grid: NT530477
Mapcode National: GBR 9279.N6
Mapcode Global: WH7W3.RG4Z
Entry Name: 4 the Avenue
Listing Date: 5 March 2001
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 394986
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB47654
Building Class: Cultural
County: Scottish Borders
Electoral Ward: Leaderdale and Melrose
Traditional County: Berwickshire
Probably early 19th century, altered earlier to mid 19th century when upper storey added; with later additions. 2-storey doubled fronted detached house with single storey rear wing (probably later 19th century). Coursed whinstone rubble to principal (SE) elevation; rubble elsewhere. Quoins; coped gables.
SE (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: symmetrical arrangement; central entrance with replacement panelled timber door; flanking windows to each floor and one above.
NW ELEVATION: central stair window to main body of house. Gable end of single storey rear wing projects to left; single window to gable; entrance and window to right return. Single storey harled later 20th century extension with flat roof projects forward to right, adjoining wing; entrance with window to left.
NE ELEVATION: blank gable end to main body of house (former ground floor window blocked). Rear wing projects forward slightly to right; former entrance now a window.
SW ELEVATION: single window to right to each floor; later 20th century single storey extension adjoins to left; single window.
12-pane timber sash and case windows to main body of cottage; single panes/with top hoppers elsewhere. Grey slate roofs (asphalted covering to later 20th century flat-roofed extension); rooflights to rear pitches. Rubble gable end stacks with band courses flanking main body of house; one to gable end of rear wind; round cans.
INTERIOR: not inspected (1998).
A handsome symmetrical whinstone rubble building, dating from the earlier to mid 19th century in its present form. Although it is not shown on the map in the 'Report on Parliamentary Boundaries of Scotland' of 1832, stylistically the ground floor of the house would appear to predate it. A building of apparently similar dimensions does appear on what may be the same site on Cockburn's less accurate map of 1756. The Avenue was formerly (after its rebuilding in the 1670's) the principal route of approach to Thirlestane Castle (after its rebuilding in the 1760's). William Roy's survey shows an avenue of trees leading up to it from this point in the mid 18th century. No 4 The Avenue would have been situated directly opposite the entrance.
Other nearby listed buildings