History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

4 the Avenue

A Category C Listed Building in Lauder, Scottish Borders

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.7205 / 55°43'13"N

Longitude: -2.749 / 2°44'56"W

OS Eastings: 353046

OS Northings: 647703

OS Grid: NT530477

Mapcode National: GBR 9279.N6

Mapcode Global: WH7W3.RG4Z

Entry Name: 4 the Avenue

Listing Date: 5 March 2001

Category: C

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 394986

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB47654

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Lauder

County: Scottish Borders

Electoral Ward: Leaderdale and Melrose

Traditional County: Berwickshire

Find accommodation in
Lauder

Description

Probably early 19th century, altered earlier to mid 19th century when upper storey added; with later additions. 2-storey doubled fronted detached house with single storey rear wing (probably later 19th century). Coursed whinstone rubble to principal (SE) elevation; rubble elsewhere. Quoins; coped gables.

SE (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: symmetrical arrangement; central entrance with replacement panelled timber door; flanking windows to each floor and one above.

NW ELEVATION: central stair window to main body of house. Gable end of single storey rear wing projects to left; single window to gable; entrance and window to right return. Single storey harled later 20th century extension with flat roof projects forward to right, adjoining wing; entrance with window to left.

NE ELEVATION: blank gable end to main body of house (former ground floor window blocked). Rear wing projects forward slightly to right; former entrance now a window.

SW ELEVATION: single window to right to each floor; later 20th century single storey extension adjoins to left; single window.

12-pane timber sash and case windows to main body of cottage; single panes/with top hoppers elsewhere. Grey slate roofs (asphalted covering to later 20th century flat-roofed extension); rooflights to rear pitches. Rubble gable end stacks with band courses flanking main body of house; one to gable end of rear wind; round cans.

INTERIOR: not inspected (1998).

Statement of Interest

A handsome symmetrical whinstone rubble building, dating from the earlier to mid 19th century in its present form. Although it is not shown on the map in the 'Report on Parliamentary Boundaries of Scotland' of 1832, stylistically the ground floor of the house would appear to predate it. A building of apparently similar dimensions does appear on what may be the same site on Cockburn's less accurate map of 1756. The Avenue was formerly (after its rebuilding in the 1670's) the principal route of approach to Thirlestane Castle (after its rebuilding in the 1760's). William Roy's survey shows an avenue of trees leading up to it from this point in the mid 18th century. No 4 The Avenue would have been situated directly opposite the entrance.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.