History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

13-23 (Odd Nos) Shandwick Place

A Category C Listed Building in Edinburgh, Edinburgh

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.9497 / 55°56'58"N

Longitude: -3.2085 / 3°12'30"W

OS Eastings: 324627

OS Northings: 673623

OS Grid: NT246736

Mapcode National: GBR 8KG.LP

Mapcode Global: WH6SL.PQB7

Entry Name: 13-23 (Odd Nos) Shandwick Place

Listing Date: 23 March 2001

Category: C

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 395069

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB47728

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Edinburgh

County: Edinburgh

Electoral Ward: City Centre

Traditional County: Midlothian

Find accommodation in
Edinburgh

Description

Earlier 19th century, recast 1880 by Robert Morham, with later alterations. 4-storey, 9-bay classically detailed former terrace of 3, 3-bay town houses with shops built out at ground floor. Polished granite to shop surrounds at principal floor; painted sandstone ashlar above with painted dressings. Cill course at 1st and 2nd floors; lintel course at 1st floor; band course below cornice; string course below cornice between 2nd and 3rd floors and at 3rd floor. Pilasters and dentil cornice to 1st floor windows; moulded surrounds to 1st and 2nd floor windows; bracketed balconies to central bipartites at 2nd floor; consoled and finialled segmental pediments at 3rd floor; pilasters demarcating each 3-bay section at 3rd floor.

NW (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: 2-leaf modern glazed door with rectangular fanlight above to pend to right of centre and deep-set modern door to outer right at principal floor; modern shop fronts at remainder of principal floor. Upper floors, bays grouped 3-3-3. Regular fenestration at 1st floor; bipartite with single windows flanking to 2nd and 3rd floors.

NE ELEVATION: adjoining terrace, 7-11 Shandwick Place (see separate list description).

SW ELEVATION: adjoining terrace, 25-37 Shandwick Place, The Maitland Hotel (see separate list description).

SE ELEVATION: not seen 2000.

Shop windows at principal floor; 4-pane timber sash and case windows elsewhere. Grey slate roof; coped skews. Sandstone, coped, multi-flue ridge and gablehead stacks with full compliment of tall cylindrical moulded cans. Cast-iron rainwater goods.

INTERIOR: modern shop fittings at principal floor; remainder unseen 2000.

Statement of Interest

Part of the Edinburgh New Town A-Group, a significant surviving part of one of the most important and best preserved examples of urban planning in Britain. Possibly originally a set of three earlier 19th century town houses, remodelled by the city architect, Robert Morham. The line of this development westwards was agreed to by the city in 1813 but had been planned as early as 1801, with the S side of Shandwick Place originally called Maitland Street (renamed in the late 1890s). Its form continues the urban rectilinearity of Craig's New Town (Youngson, p215). This side of Shandwick Place appears on Robert Kirkwood's New Plan of 1817, although many of the buildings have since been remodelled or rebuilt. According to Grant Shandwick Place was "once a double line of front-door houses for people of good style, [now they] are almost entirely lines of shops or other new buildings".

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.