This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.868 / 55°52'4"N
Longitude: -2.9682 / 2°58'5"W
OS Eastings: 339509
OS Northings: 664296
OS Grid: NT395642
Mapcode National: GBR 70QL.69
Mapcode Global: WH7V7.CRTW
Plus Code: 9C7VV29J+6P
Entry Name: Grey's House, 57 Main Street, Pathhead
Listing Name: Pathhead, 57 Main Street, Grey's House
Listing Date: 22 March 2001
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 395100
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB47766
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Midlothian East
Traditional County: Midlothian
Late 18th century, remodelled circa 1876. 2-storey, 3-bay rectangular-plan house. Coursed rubble. Part long and short quoins, projecting cills, timpany gable.
SW (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: 2-storey symmetrical elevation, regular fenestration; doorway slightly off centre right, chamfered arrises, later 4-panel door, small glazed fanlight, inset circular sundial stone above, blind door to left; window to flanks, projecting lower cill, chamfered arrises to right window; additional 1st floor: 3 regularly placed bays, projecting starts, tails, jambs, keystone detail on top cill to central bay, flanking architraved windows placed high at eaves; timpan gable, projecting stone plaque dated 1876 (in relief) GRAYS HOUSE (carved) near gablehead, stone skews, gablet skewputts with rolled tops, long and short quoins to 1st floor left.
NW ELEVATION: adjoining single storey cottage to left, situated slightly downhill; plain stone skews and skewputts, coursed stone stack, neck cope, 5 plain cans.
NE (REAR) ELEVATION: not seen, 2000.
SE ELEVATION: adjoining 2-storey house to right, abutting its gable and using its skews.
4-pane timber sash and case glazing (upper 2-panes smaller than lower ones). Grey slate roof. Painted cast-iron rainwater goods, downpipe to right on main elevation.
INTERIOR: not seen, 2000.
The original cottage was probably one storey high, however it was extended in 1876 to a 2-storey dwelling house. The windows were given raised margins, whereas the ground floor only has projecting cills. The timpany gable contains a dated plaque showing the renovation date, not the original date of the building (the house at No 107 received similar treatment in 1877). The original elevation would have had two doors to the ground floor, but the left-hand door has been infilled, to the detriment of the symmetry.
Other nearby listed buildings