This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.0341 / 56°2'2"N
Longitude: -3.4789 / 3°28'44"W
OS Eastings: 307942
OS Northings: 683348
OS Grid: NT079833
Mapcode National: GBR 1X.RY46
Mapcode Global: WH5QY.JLLH
Plus Code: 9C8R2GMC+MC
Entry Name: Wellhead House, Sandilands Lane, Limekilns
Listing Name: Limekilns, Sandilands Lane, Wellhead House Including the Neuk and Garden Wall
Listing Date: 23 March 2001
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 395226
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB47836
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Rosyth
Traditional County: Fife
1792. Symmetrical 2-storey and attic, 3-bay house. Coursed, tooled sandstone rubble, snecked in places; ashlar dressings to openings, quoins, eaves course and across gable wallheads.
SW (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: central replacement 2-leaf glazed door; flanking windows. 3 1st floor windows centred above. Replacement window to central 1st floor former Venetian window; central arch of window remains. 2 small piended attic dormer windows wholly in roof.
NW ELEVATION: plain gable.
NE ELEVATION: extension to left (The Neuk). Wellhead House extends for one room under The Neuk. Later lean-to outshots to right.
SE ELEVATION: ground floor window to right under The Neuk; replacement ground and first floor window to right in gable; 1st floor Venetian window to left. 1792 datestone in apex flanked by projecting cross-inscribed bullstanes.
INTERIOR: sitting room to right; kitchen to left; central passageway; staircase to rear left; door opposite front door leading to store rooms; lean-to outshots ahead and to left, and room to far right under The Neuk with remains of possible range. Originally an external (now internal) window at bottom of stairs. Winding stair to 1st floor; bedrooms and bathroom; some cornicing and dado railing remains. Stairs leading to 2 attic rooms; coved roof following roof-line. Lath and plaster walls; some panelled doors; some bed recesses remain. 1st floor fireplaces and range in sitting room have been removed.
Large near-square window openings remain to principal elevation. Original windows at 1st floor right (principal elevation) and Venetian window (SE gable) with internal spiral handles; 20-pane windows (central 12-pane section with 4 flanking panes). Timber sash and case windows with horns. Pitched slate roof; scroll skewputts. Corniced gable apex stacks.
Single storey cottage attached to rear of Wellheads House, built into the bank. Sandstone rubble to S; harled elsewhere. Dressings to some windows and quoins.
SE ELEVATION: 2 windows.
SW ELEVATION: attached to Wellheads House.
NW ELEVATION: replacement fenestration; modern flat-roofed porch.
NE ELEVATION: window to right.
Modern fenestration. Pitched slate roof; ridge and gable apex stack; scroll skewputts to NE gable. Garden wall continues from Wellhead House along Dunfermline Road to The Wellheads enclosing courtyard with outhouse to N.
Low rubble wall with central opening in front of principal elevation; tall harled rubble wall runs from left gable to Sandilands, enclosing linear garden. Wall continues North Eastwards towards The Wellheads to enclose yard at year.
The house is said to have been built for a vicar, Mr Dunlop from Yorkshire in the Yorkshire style and given to his two daughters; one lived in the house, the other in The Neuk, the cottage to rear (owner's information).
Other nearby listed buildings