History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

2 Millfield Cottages, Garrion Bridge

A Category C Listed Building in Wishaw, North Lanarkshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 55.7386 / 55°44'18"N

Longitude: -3.9222 / 3°55'19"W

OS Eastings: 279410

OS Northings: 651139

OS Grid: NS794511

Mapcode National: GBR 1212.NQ

Mapcode Global: WH4R4.Q1G1

Plus Code: 9C7RP3QH+C4

Entry Name: 2 Millfield Cottages, Garrion Bridge

Listing Name: Wishaw, Garrion Bridge, 1 and 2 Millfield Cottage

Listing Date: 30 March 2001

Category: C

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 395406

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB47988

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Cambusnethan

County: North Lanarkshire

Electoral Ward: Wishaw

Parish: Cambusnethan

Traditional County: Lanarkshire

Find accommodation in


Dated 1890. Single storey and garret, symmetrical, Greek cross-plan, combination cottages and garage. Square-plan tower with spire to NW corner. Squared and snecked, tooled yellow sandstone. Exposed rafters, overhanging eaves.

E (STREET) ELEVATION: advanced gabled bay to centre, engaged wallhead chimney stack to centre, flanking windows, small window to left of apex. Bay to right, advanced lean-to porch to right with door to right return, window to right with finialed gable breaking eaves. Single narrow bay to left, door with modern glass porch.

W (REAR) ELEVATION: advanced gabled bay to centre, 2 windows outside of ground, paired small windows to apex; blind bay to left, door to narrow bay to right.

N (MILLFIELD HOUSE) ELEVATION: gabled bay; segmental-arched garage door to left, door to right, window to apex; low square-plan tower to outer right; canted at ground with small square window to centre, corbelled out to eaves course, 1890 datestone to centre, corbelled timber cornice, spire.

S (SIDE) ELEVATION: gabled bay; paired narrow windows to outer edges at ground; round-arched window with projecting cill at apex.

Plate glass timber sash and case windows to front and N side, modern double glazing to S and rear. Grey slates, lead flashing.

INTERIOR: not seen 2000.

Statement of Interest

Interesting combination estate building with a garage housed in the north wing facing Millfied House (see separate listing) and enclosed within the garden walls of Millfied. Whilst to the south the building is divided into a gardener's cottage at the rear and chauffeur's cottage at the front, each has their own direct street entrance. These cottages along with the mill owner's Millfied House, the mill manager's house at Garrionhurst (see separate listing) and two terraces of mill worker's cottages formed the hamlet of Garrion overlooking the site of where Garrion mill once stood. A mill operated on this site since the medieval period when it was run by the monks of Kelso in relation to the Bishop of Glasgow's summer residence at Garrion Tower (see separate listing). By the late nineteenth the mill operation was run by John Lee Brown and it was he who built the hamlet as exists. The mill was run by Lee from 1880 to 1918 when it was sold to a Mr. MacGregor and was in use until the 1960s.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.