This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.739 / 55°44'20"N
Longitude: -3.9219 / 3°55'18"W
OS Eastings: 279431
OS Northings: 651185
OS Grid: NS794511
Mapcode National: GBR 1212.QK
Mapcode Global: WH4R4.Q0MQ
Plus Code: 9C7RP3QH+J6
Entry Name: Millfield House, Garrion Bridge
Listing Name: Wishaw, Garrion Bridge, Millfield House Including Boundary Wall
Listing Date: 30 March 2001
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 395408
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB47989
Building Class: Cultural
County: North Lanarkshire
Electoral Ward: Wishaw
Traditional County: Lanarkshire
1890. 2-storey, 5-bay, cruciform-plan, asymmetrical, villa. Round tower to NE, square tower to SE. Yellow ashlar sandstone. Base course, eaves course; projecting ashlar quoins, crowstep margins and blocked architraves.
W (PRINCIPAL, GARDEN) ELEVATION: advanced gabled bay to centre; canted bay to centre, flat-roof; round-arched bipartite window with stone mullion above; blind oculus at apex, finialed gable; tall wallhead chimney to right return. Slightly advanced small gabled bay to right; modern conservatory, round-arched window to 1st floor. Bay to outer right obscured by modern conservatory. Square-plan, 2-stage tower to right; round-arched door to centre, round-arched bipartite window with stone mullion to 2nd stage; steep pavilion roof, bird-cage cast-iron steeple with finial at apex; single window to left return. Stone mullioned bipartite to outer bay to left.
E (REAR) ELEVATION: advanced gabled bay to centre; 2 windows to ground, round-arched window to 1st floor. Slightly advanced small gabled bay to left; door to right; round-arched window to apex. Shouldered windows to bay to outer left at ground. Circular-plan, 2-stage tower to bay to right; tall bipartite window at ground, mullioned and transomed in stone; bowed round-arched window to 2nd stage, gable breaking eaves; finialed spire. Bay to outer right.
N (SIDE) ELEVATION: gabled bay; regular fenestration at ground; single round-arched window at apex; tall gablehead chimney.
S (SIDE) ELEVATION: gabled bay; window to ground left; paired windows to 1st floor; tall gablehead chimney.
Plate glass timber sash and case windows. Grey slates, lead flashing. Towering stacks with heavily moulded coping. Crowstepped gables with beak skewputts.
INTERIOR: not seen 2000.
BOUNDARY WALL: low wall, squared sandstone coursers with saddleback coping, quadrants into driveway, terminating in low capped piers.
Millfield, the mill owner's house, the adjacent gardener's and chauffeur's cottage and garage of Millfied Cottage (see separate listing), the mill manager's house at Garrionhurst (see separate listing) and two terraces of mill worker's cottages, formed the hamlet of Garrion overlooking the site of where Garrion mill once stood. A mill operated on this site since the medieval period when it was run by the monks of Kelso in relation to the Bishop of Glasgow's summer residence at Garrion Tower (see separate listing). By the late nineteenth the mill operation was run by John Lee Brown and it was he who built the hamlet as exists. The mill was run by Lee from 1880 to 1918 when it was sold to a Mr MacGregor and was in use until the 1960s. The grounds at Millfield show signs of earlier landscaping on the steep Clyde bank, now lost, such as covered trellised paths, arboretum and a terrace tennis court.
Other nearby listed buildings