This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.5038 / 56°30'13"N
Longitude: -2.9977 / 2°59'51"W
OS Eastings: 338684
OS Northings: 735077
OS Grid: NO386350
Mapcode National: GBR VJ.Z9LS
Mapcode Global: WH7R3.XSPJ
Plus Code: 9C8VG232+GW
Entry Name: Strathmartine Hospital
Listing Name: Baldovan, Strathmartine Hospital, Former Baldovan Institute
Listing Date: 10 August 2001
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 395542
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB48113
Building Class: Cultural
Location: Mains and Strathmartine
Electoral Ward: Monifieth and Sidlaw
Parish: Mains And Strathmartine
Traditional County: Angus
John Turnbull Maclaren, 1900. Tall 2-storey and attic, 2-storey and single storey, 11-bay administration block with pavilion roof and shaped gables, and 3 2-storey, 2-bay, piend-roofed wards. Stugged squared and snecked rubble with ashlar dressings. Deep bull-faced rubble base course, 1st floor cill course and band course. Stone transoms and mullions.
SW (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: symmetrical. Pavilion-roofed centre bays with dwarf walls flanking stone steps leading to 3-bay porch with pilastered and keystoned round-headed doorpiece, 2-leaf panelled timber door and sunburst-astragalled fanlight flanked by transomed tripartites and single transomed windows to outer returns, all surmounted by deep corniced blocking course. 1st floor with transomed bipartite windows to each bay, centre bay above with bipartite window breaking eaves into piended dormerhead, outer bays with flat-roofed dormers (replacement windows) also breaking eaves. Flanking 2-storey bays slightly set-back, each with transomed bipartite window to centre flanked by single windows at each floor (only those to ground transomed), that to 1st floor breaking eaves into piended dormerhead. Projecting single storey outer bays, each with 5-part canted transomed window below corniced blocking course and shaped gable with arrowslit in gablehead, rounded bay with 2 narrow lights to inner re-entrant angles and 4 single windows to outer returns.
NE (REAR) ELEVATION: largely comprised of variety of later extensions.
4-, 8-, 10-pane and plate glass glazing patterns in timber sash and case windows. Grey slates. Ashlar-coped skews; overhanging eaves with exposed rafters; finials; cast-iron downpipes with decorative rainwater hoppers.
SW (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATIONS: wards to SE of administration building each with advanced piended bay to right of centre with swept roof to 5-part canted window at ground, tripartite above and single window to each floor of left return, recessed bay with tripartite window at ground and bipartite at 1st floor. Ward to NW mirrors the above.
SE AND NW ELEVATIONS: symmetrically-fenestrated elevations with variety of elements including full-height, polygonal-roofed canted stair tower to outer ward at SE.
NE (REAR) ELEVATIONS: stepped elevations with variety of elements including some original glazing and later extensions.
Horizontal 14-pane glazing pattern in timber sash and case windows. Grey slates. Overhanging eaves with exposed rafters; finials; cast-iron downpipes.
Formerly thought to be by James Maclaren but due to late date and stylistic similarities, now attributed to John Turnbull MacLaren of MacLaren, Soutar & Salmond. The foundation stone of the current building was laid on the 13th June, 1900. Founded by Sir John and Lady Jane Ogilvie in 1852, and formerly known as the 'Baldovan Institution', the hospital also provided an orphanage and place of education for imbecile children, constituting the first serious attempt of its kind in Scotland. In 1853 the Ogilvies provided a new building for the hospital, designed by Coe and Godwin in the English domestic Tudor style, in the grounds of Baldovan House. The foundation stone was laid on the 7th July, 1853. The success of the hospital led to the above detailed complex being added to the north at the turn of the century. The hospital was transferred to the National Health Service in 1948 and continued to expand. Further extensions were built in the 1960s. The designed landscape was planned by Sir Reginald Ogilvy Bt. The (former) lodge to the hospital is listed separately in Craigmill Road, Baldovan.
Other nearby listed buildings