This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.5052 / 56°30'18"N
Longitude: -3.0078 / 3°0'28"W
OS Eastings: 338063
OS Northings: 735243
OS Grid: NO380352
Mapcode National: GBR VJ.Z19J
Mapcode Global: WH7R3.RRWF
Plus Code: 9C8RGX4R+3V
Entry Name: Craigmill House And Stable Court, Craigmill Road
Listing Name: Craigmill Road, Craigmill House, Including Stable Court, Gatepiers and Boundary Walls
Listing Date: 20 October 1991
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 353279
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB19039
Building Class: Cultural
Location: Mains and Strathmartine
Electoral Ward: Monifieth and Sidlaw
Parish: Mains And Strathmartine
Traditional County: Angus
Circa 1875. 2-storey, basement and attic, L-plan, 3-bay villa with L-plan stable court adjoining at rear. Stugged snecked rubble, ashlar dressings, slate roof. Bull-faced base course at S elevation; margined quoins at angles and majority of windows, chamfered at E and W gables; mannered, chamfered margind at S elevation. Single and bipartite windows (windows boarded up, but probably plate glass). Deep eaves with exposed rafter and purlin ends; plain bargeboards; shouldered stacks with moulded cornices.
S ELEVATION: 6-fielded-panel door with fanlight at centre re-entrant, blocked Doric pilastered doorpiece, block pediment above cornice, window at 1st floor, bipartite window at ground and 1st floor; bipartite window at ground and 1st floor left, gable above; advanced bay at right with full-height tripartite canted window, corbelled to square at attic level with initialled panel, window and gambrel roof.
E ELEVATION: gable at left with 2 windows at ground and 1st floor (window at 1st floor left cut-down as door with metal fire escape); service wing at right with later porch, windows at ground and ist floor; single storey half-piended roof bay at far right with various doors and openings.
W GABLE: 2 symmetrically placed windows at ground and 1st floor, round-headed window at attic.
N ELEVATION: single storey, flat-roofed addition at right, stair window above; service wing advanced at left with door and 4 windows at ground floor, 4 windows at 1st, near symmetrical.
STABLE COURT: single storey, L-plan, forming quadrangle with N elevation and service wing of house. Stugged snecked rubble slate roof. Various doors and windows to all elevations; 2-leaf carriage doors at S gable of W range.
GATEPIERS AND BOUNDARY WALLS: 2 square section gatepiers at W with indented angles, moulded and gabletted caps; round-coped rubble boundary wall adjoining extending around house to S, E and N.
Craigmill House was built for John Grant of Craig Mill. In 1881 Warden referred to a sculpted stone removed from the manse garden wall to a new mansion erected close to the site of the old parish manse by the Laird of Craig Mill. The house is boarded up (1991) and the interior was not inspected.
Other nearby listed buildings