History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Edinburgh Castle, Scottish National War Memorial

A Category A Listed Building in Edinburgh, Edinburgh

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.9485 / 55°56'54"N

Longitude: -3.1998 / 3°11'59"W

OS Eastings: 325170

OS Northings: 673474

OS Grid: NT251734

Mapcode National: GBR 8MH.B4

Mapcode Global: WH6SL.TRG6

Entry Name: Edinburgh Castle, Scottish National War Memorial

Listing Date: 14 December 1970

Category: A

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 395631

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB48229

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Edinburgh

County: Edinburgh

Electoral Ward: City Centre

Traditional County: Midlothian

Find accommodation in
Edinburgh

Description

Sir Robert Lorimer, 1924-7, incorporating earlier fabric, with work by numerous sculptors (see Notes). E-plan War Memorial Chapel with concrete vault and buttressed semi-octagonal apse to N; gothic detail, some drawn from Stirling Castle. Random rubble with polished dressings. Crenellated coped parapet with large gargoyles to entrance tower. Openings in cusped stilted segmental arches. Sculpture in canopied niches (see Notes).

INTERIOR: low groin-vaulted porch. Groin-vaulted crossing. Transepts to E and W (Hall of Honour) with round-arched architraves to each bay, separated by octagonal pillars with foliate capitals; arched entrances to S chapels to E and W. Apsidal shrine to N with groin vault springing from slim shafts; carved central boss with hanging painted timber figure; bronze frieze under stilted-arched windows; bare rock breaking through Ailsa Craig granite floor; granite altar with bronze kneeling angels to corners. Sculptural Commissions and wrought-iron work to distinguish Regimental altars and to articulate space, by many hands.

Statement of Interest

The A Group comprises Batteries, Foog's Gate, Gatehouse, Governor's House, Great Hall, Lang Stairs, Military Prison, National War Museum, New Barracks, Old Guardhouse, Palace Block, Portcullis Gate, St Margaret's Chapel, Scottish National War Memorial, Telephone Kiosks, United Services Museum and Vaults, all within Edinburgh Castle, and in the Care of Historic Scotland. Lorimer's building is a reconstruction of the North Barracks, built in 1755 on the site of the medieval St Mary's Church (converted to munitions house in 1540 and demolished 1755 to make way for the barracks). Opened by the Prince of Wales (later Edward VIII) on 14th July 1927. The complex programme of sculpture and heraldry includes work by Alexander Carrick, George Salvesen, Percy Portsmouth, Alice and Morris Meredith-Williams, Pilkington Jackson and Phyllis Bone. Stained glass by Douglas Strachan. Wrought-iron screen to shrine by Thomas Hadden. A steel casket on the altar of the shrine contains the names of those killed in the 1st and 2nd World Wars and in later conflicts.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.