This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 55.9489 / 55°56'56"N
Longitude: -3.1974 / 3°11'50"W
OS Eastings: 325320
OS Northings: 673524
OS Grid: NT253735
Mapcode National: GBR 8MG.TZ
Mapcode Global: WH6SL.VQMV
Plus Code: 9C7RWRX3+H2
Entry Name: Monument To Colonel Mackenzie, Edinburgh Castle Esplanade
Listing Name: Monument to Colonel Mackenzie, Edinburgh Castle Esplanade, Edinburgh
Listing Date: 15 October 2001
Last Amended: 15 November 2019
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 395667
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB48257
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: City Centre
Traditional County: Midlothian
This is one of a group of statues on the Esplanade including the Statue of the Duke of York, the Scottish Horse Memorial, the 72nd Highlanders Memorial, and the 78th Highlanders Memorial.
Kenneth Mackenzie (1811–73) served in the British army for 42 years with The Gordon Highlanders. Much of that time was spent as a Quartermaster, responsible for ensuring that soldiers were well provisioned. He saw active service in the Crimean War, in the Indian Rebellion or Mutiny and in China. Mackenzie served also in Ireland where he captured the Irish nationalist William Smith after the Young Irelander Rebellion in 1848.
The sculptor was Sir John Steell (1804–91). During the1820s Steell was elected an associate of the Royal Institution for the Encouragement of the Fine Arts in Scotland and in 1829 he became a member of the Royal Scottish Academy. Steell's career was notable for both his own artistic achievements alongside the role which he played in the development of sculpture in his native Scotland. Steell is credited with introducing large-scale marble carving into Scotland. His works include the statue of the Duke of Wellington outside of Register House (Edinburgh) and the statue of Sir Walter Scott in the Scott Monument. This seated figure of Sir Walter Scott is stated to have been the first marble statue commissioned in Scotland from a native artist, although that by Steell of Professor Blaikie at Aberdeen was the first finished (1844).
Statutory address and listed building record revised in 2019. Previously listed as 'EDINBURGH CASTLE ESPLANADE, MONUMENT TO COLONEL MACKENZIE'.
Other nearby listed buildings