History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Murray Fountain, James Square, Crieff

A Category B Listed Building in Crieff, Perth and Kinross

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 56.373 / 56°22'22"N

Longitude: -3.8411 / 3°50'27"W

OS Eastings: 286385

OS Northings: 721604

OS Grid: NN863216

Mapcode National: GBR 1H.2F1C

Mapcode Global: WH4N2.Z22P

Plus Code: 9C8R95F5+6H

Entry Name: Murray Fountain, James Square, Crieff

Listing Name: James Square, Murray Fountain

Listing Date: 20 February 2002

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 395912

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB48489

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Crieff

County: Perth and Kinross

Town: Crieff

Electoral Ward: Strathearn

Traditional County: Perthshire

Find accommodation in


Dated 1893, installed 1894, sculptor William Mossman; renovated 1993. 3-stage classical memorial fountain. Grey and red granite with marble basins. Reducing stepped base giving way to plinth with centre basins and dog drinking bowl to E angle surmounted by projecting moulded ledge. Base of tall 2nd stage with lead lionhead waterspout in small niche to centre of each face, that to N with flanking inscription 'ERECTED BY THE INHABITANTS OF THE BURGH OF CRIEFF' 'A RECOGNITION OF MANY BENEFITS RECEIVED FROM THE MURRAYS OF OCHTERTYRE', surmounting keystoned arches and floreate-capitalled marble pilasters with fountain bowl to centre giving way to elaborate cornice and heavy 3rd stage with fish tails reaching to form support for ball finial and decorative cast-iron weathervane.

Statement of Interest

James Square, set out as a marketplace by George Drummond of Milnab in 1685, was largely feued by James Drummond the third Duke of Perth, from whom its name derives. Crieff Water Works was opened on 28th May, 1872, by Lady Keith Murray but with a temporary fountain. The permanent fountain was installed October 1894 and commemorates the town's fresh water supply and other benefits provided by the Murrays of Ochtertyre. Restoration work was carried out in 1993 by Perth & Kinross District Council. The base (west face) is signed 'WILLIAM MOSSMAN SCULPTOR GLASGOW'. The nearby Jubilee Lamps are listed separately.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.