This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 55.7687 / 55°46'7"N
Longitude: -4.1619 / 4°9'42"W
OS Eastings: 264470
OS Northings: 654934
OS Grid: NS644549
Mapcode National: GBR 3W.9P01
Mapcode Global: WH4QV.18FG
Plus Code: 9C7QQR9Q+F7
Entry Name: 109, 111 Maxwellton Avenue, East Kilbride
Listing Name: 107-111 (0dd Nos) Maxwelton Avenue
Listing Date: 20 February 1979
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 396062
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB48659
Building Class: Cultural
Location: East Kilbride
County: South Lanarkshire
Town: East Kilbride
Electoral Ward: East Kilbride Central North
Traditional County: Lanarkshire
Later 18th century. 2-bay, 1? storey cottage. Squared rubble; raised cills.
NW ELEVATION: tall entrance door in left bay; small window, square in proportion above; single window in right bay at ground; single window above at attic.
Modern 2-pane glazing. Slate roof; short harled stack at right gablehead.
B-Group with 101, 103-105, 115-121, 123-127, 129, 181, 106, 110, 114-118, 136-140, 142, 144, 146 Maxwelton Avenue. Until 1740, the area of Maxwelton was called Hogsmuir - a reference to the livestock market that was held in the area. Between 1740 and 1750, the first weaver cottages were built in the area and during the eighteenth-century a small village developed, which fiercely guarded its independence from East Kilbride until the mid-twentieth century. The handloom weavers owned their cottages outright but paid a small feu-duty to the Maxwells of Calderwood, after whom the village was named.
Other nearby listed buildings