This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 55.7684 / 55°46'6"N
Longitude: -4.1624 / 4°9'44"W
OS Eastings: 264433
OS Northings: 654902
OS Grid: NS644549
Mapcode National: GBR 3W.9NWL
Mapcode Global: WH4QV.185Q
Plus Code: 9C7QQR9Q+92
Entry Name: 129 Maxwellton Avenue, East Kilbride
Listing Name: 129 Maxwelton Avenue
Listing Date: 20 February 1979
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 396065
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB48663
Building Class: Cultural
Location: East Kilbride
County: South Lanarkshire
Town: East Kilbride
Electoral Ward: East Kilbride Central North
Traditional County: Lanarkshire
Late 18th century. 5-bay single storey and attic cottage. Squared and snecked rubble with raised cills.
NW ELEVATION: entrance door in central bay; varied sized single windows in flanking bays; canted attic dormer windows at 1st and 5th bays; large blind expanse of wall to right. Blind gable-end painted white.
Modern astragal glazing to house; modern 2-pane glazing to dormer windows. Slate roof; painted stack on roof ridge.
B-Group with 101, 103-105, 107-111, 115-121, 123-127, 181, 106, 110, 114-118, 136-140, 142, 144, 146 Maxwelton Avenue. Until 1740, the area of Maxwelton was called Hogsmuir - a reference to the livestock market that was held in the area. Between 1740 and 1750, the first weaver cottages were built in the area and during the eighteenth-century a small village developed, which fiercely guarded its independence from East Kilbride until the mid-twentieth century. The handloom weavers owned their cottages outright but paid a small feu-duty to the Maxwells of Calderwood, after whom the village was named.
Other nearby listed buildings