This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 55.7685 / 55°46'6"N
Longitude: -4.1623 / 4°9'44"W
OS Eastings: 264444
OS Northings: 654912
OS Grid: NS644549
Mapcode National: GBR 3W.9NXN
Mapcode Global: WH4QV.187M
Plus Code: 9C7QQR9Q+C3
Entry Name: 123, 125, 127 Maxwellton Avenue, East Kilbride
Listing Name: 123-127 (Odd Nos) Maxwelton Avenue
Listing Date: 20 February 1979
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 396064
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB48662
Building Class: Cultural
Location: East Kilbride
County: South Lanarkshire
Town: East Kilbride
Electoral Ward: East Kilbride Central North
Traditional County: Lanarkshire
Late 18th century. 5-bay, single stoey and attic cottage. Squared and snecked rubble; raised and painted margins; timber eaves decoration to attic dormers.
NW ELEVATION: entrance doors in 2nd and 4th bays from left; single windows in other bays; canted attic dormer windows in outer bays; central triangular attic window.
Modern 2-pane glazing to windows; modern 8-pane window in 1st bay from right. Slate roof; broad, coped stacks with cans at gableheads.
B-Group with 101, 103-105, 107-111, 115-121, 129, 181, 106, 110, 114-118, 136-140, 142, 144, 146 Maxwelton Avenue. Until 1740, the area of Maxwelton was called Hogsmuir - a reference to the livestock market that was held in the area. Between 1740 and 1750, the first weaver cottages were built in the area and during the eighteenth-century a small village developed, which fiercely guarded its independence from East Kilbride until the mid-twentieth century. The handloom weavers owned their cottages outright but paid a small feu-duty to the Maxwells of Calderwood, after whom the village was named.
Other nearby listed buildings